Using the Brevis with the EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using the Brevis with the EX1

A friend brought an EX1 over to use my Brevis with for a shoot he has this weekend. He bought the CFLE1 from Cinevate and some spacer rings which they said he needed when he called to ask.

After replacing the Groundglass and with or without we could NOT get the camera to focus on the glass. With Macro on or off - doesn't seem to make a difference.

We can get the camera to zoom and still focus when the image is right to the edge of the Box on the LCD. Is that the actual image or is it action safe or something? Not sure what's going on.

Can someone help out with this? Any advice would be great. We
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Seems like almost all the adapter makers are having to add a new acromat in order for the EX1 to work properly. It doesnt have great macro focus and also theyve said the 1/2" chips make a difference. I know the SGPro is having to do that and if you get a LEX, you need to add it on.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Trustee

You can go to the "Basic Setup" video at the Cinevate University. I think the problem is that when you zoom in, the minimum focus distance will increase. If the GG is closer than the minimum, you can't focus on it, thus the requirement for spacer(s).

I'm assuming also you aren't using the flip.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Major Player

I think you may NEED the flip. I haven't tried mine without the flip but I believe you would need a ton of spacers to use it without the flip. Works with the flip though.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Trustee

The Ex-1 lens has created many problems for the adapter makers.

Dennis is in the process of finalizing his fix for the EX-1. Rather than steal his thunder I will only say that it will be out very soon and it will be different.

My tests with the current Brevis + flip indicated that you needed to shoot at f8 on the video camera to get decent focus across the whole screen. f5.6 would be fair if you didn't care about the edges. The fix presumably will fix this and hopefully allow use of the full SLR image size. i haven't tried with a pre-flip brevis at all.

The improved achromat for the Letus (and apparently same for the SGPro though I haven't tested personally ) works very well but has some vignetting at full SLR as I recall so you need to zoom more.

_ Lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Major Player

You need to zoom less with the Letus, with the Sony EX1 and the Letus fix.
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Trustee

look forward to the Brevis fix. Got 3 of the things sitting gathering dust. Yes it's true the camera needs to be very stopped down to get decent edge to edge focus
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

This probably isn't your problem, BUT if your EX-1 is not macro focusing at all:
make sure that in addition to the 'macro' switch being on, the focus ring is in the forward 'a/f' position. As you rack this will bring the minimum object distance to around one inch.
Juan McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:02 AM   #9
Trustee

macro focus mode is no good for focusing in on ground glass. It only works for very minor zoom, not for the amount needed to focus in on the gg
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Been so busy haven't had a chance to thank you guys for the help.

We'll have our eyes out for those fixes!
Dale Backus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds