SxS card choices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Major Player

SxS card choices

Has anybody here used the Sandisk version of the SxS card instead of the Sony? Any issues to report? I've been quoted a price that was about $60 lower for the Sandisk 8 gig than the Sony but wasn't sure of compatibility.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow, nobody has the Sandisk? Okay, I guess I'll be the guinea pig for this one. I'm going tp pick up the EX1 tomorrow with the Sandisk 8 gig and wait for the rebate Sony card too. I'll post the results if there's any problem.
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Dave I was about to order from B&H last week but they closed up for the holidays. I've heard many people say the Sandisk works perfectly fine.
It's on the EX1 brochure and B&H list it in their accessories for the EX1.

You should have no problem
Thanks
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Paul. That $60 price difference was nothing to sneeze at so I'll probably get one. Do you think that the fact that Sandisk is getting into this format will drive down the prices any time soon?
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Wrangler

I would hope the Sandisk cards are compatible, since SxS stands for Sony (interconnected with) Sandisk. The development was a joint effort by both companies.

Let us know how it works out for you with the other brand of SxS card.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Dave, as Greg mentioned, the actual Sony SXS disk are manufactured by Sandisk. This is a joint venture.

The specs on the Sandisk card are identical to the Sony card.
I think they are both the exact same cards - different stickers :)

I think prices for 16 GB cards will come down to about $500 once the 32 GB card comes out. Panasonic already annouced the 64GB P2 card

A few members mentioned that the firmware update will come in Fall which will allow cheap cards to work - but I wouldn't trust them. The day I destroy a wedding with those el cheapo cards - I'll be wishing I hadn't saved the 2 or 3K :)

I don't know if you do weddings Dave but I have five 16GB cards and two 8 GB (came with cam) - that's enough to go through 1 wedding nicely. That's about 6 HDV tapes.

Let us know how the card works.
Cheers
Paul
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dhadialla View Post
I don't know if you do weddings Dave but I have five 16GB cards and two 8 GB (came with cam) - that's enough to go through 1 wedding nicely.
The forthcoming 60gb hard drive is tailor made for your application. 210 minutes of continuous recording at the highest quality.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Major Player

Dave/Paul,

Please let us know as soon as you confirm that the Sandisk works.

I will need to buy some 16Gb cards urgently. Was hoping that the price would drop after NAB - but I have to have these by mid May at the latest.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the info re: Sandisk/Sony. That figures that they would have somebody else build the cards for them. After all, they don't make their own batteries so why should they do the cards, huh?

When I got to the dealer, I found out that they only had 16 gig Sandisks and not the 8's. So, I bought an additional 8 gig Sony and will save up my pennies for the 16 gig. Is the Sony offer still in effect for the additional 8 gig card? Also spent an additional $300+ on a black Portabrace case and a BP-U60 battery so I'm a little "tapped out" right now! ;)
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

B&H is listing the Sandisk cards at $499 for 8GB and & 899 for 16GB. That's more than the Sony's! What gives here? (I know they're closed for a week, but this seems strange and is contrary to popular belief.)

Disregard:
Sorry, for got to add to cart for lower price!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:13 PM   #11
New Boot

The specs on the Scandisc 16gb card also states 2 hours of recording time where the Sony only says approx 1hr....

Whats the difference??
Edward Crumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Crumb View Post
The specs on the Scandisc 16gb card also states 2 hours of recording time where the Sony only says approx 1hr....

Whats the difference??
That must be incorrect data. A 16gb card holds approx. 1 hour in HQ whether its Sony/Sandisk/etc.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Graeme - for sure! Will do.

Greg - yes that HDD looks very good. I think that is about $1500
Boils down to about $25/GB vs. $55/GB for SXS.
Only thing is you have to dock extra 'stuff' on the camera :)

Edward - the specs say:
Approx 2 hours recording time with 2 x 16GB memory cards

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...sCard_8GB.aspx

At 35Mbps you are recording 4.17 MB/Sec or 250MB/Minute
For 60 minutes that is about 15GB. Minus some filesystem over head etc - you are going to get about 58 minutes max on one 16GB card

Dave - yes - I had to add to cart to see the $799 price for 16GB :)

Paul
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I am using the Sandisk version. They work just fine. Cheaper too.
David Cheok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #15
Major Player

I too have been waiting for the price of SXS to come down but I just can't wait any longer and have been buying 8Gb cards in the last week. There are bargains to be had if you spend time searching around and I picked up an 8gb card last night for £168 inc postage, compared to £299 + postage in the UK.

I would prefer to buy 16Gb cards but the prices seem to be holding steady and they are not being discounted down to s sensible price anywhere. BHPhoto has them a $875, or in the UK £517, so I can get 2 8Gb cards for $670(£335). So a decent saving.

As a wedding videographer I need about 5 and a half hours of recording time, and to be on a very safe side, 6 hours for a full day and evening. Although it will be a bit of a pain with 8Gb cards, at least I wil have enough not to worry about downloading to a laptop, formatting the card, then reusing in the same day, with the worry that something has gone wrong with my copying!
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds