Small HD camera to mix with EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 20th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Small HD camera to mix with EX1

I shoot with the EX1 and am very happy with the camera. For some of my work I cannot take the EX1 along and am missing excellent footage for productions and stock.

Question:
What small HD camera is there on the market that will mix well with the EX1? It needs to be very small is size since my storage at times is very limited to volume and weight. Also it must fit in one of the waterproof housing on the market and have a wide angle option. I expect it to be a single chip 1920 x 1080 camera and 30P would be great.

My research is says the Canon HV30 and Ikelite housing but it is hard to go back to tape. Did anything new come out at NAB that fits the bill?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #2
New Boot

hv20... you get the same camera for 100's less
Alex Gutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Alex but no 30P.

Are there any non tape based small cameras up to my requirements?
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Major Player

In the same boat. I am after a second cam to compliment the EX1 and for pickup shots from a stationary tripod.

Would like 25P as I don't usually shoot interlaced.

I have been checking out the cnet.com site for their reviews. The Canon hc30 looks a good bet but as you say its back to tape.

The Sony HDR-HC7 is another good little cam. I have the HC3 but the problem is it's not as good as the canon hc20 in low light, and its interlaced only.

No one seems to bring out a 3ccd camera whic is in between a small handycam and a camera the size of the EX1/HVX/ZU1. The canon gl2 is SD only.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

So far for me it sounds like the HV30 is still the winner.
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Will the HV20 playback HDV tapes from other recorders? I'm looking to sell my Z1U and FX1 with my new EX1 and smaller HDV cam. With a large library of HDV tapes from the Sony's, I hope the Canon will play the 1080i HDV tapes.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

What about the HDC series from panasonic? They record to SD cards don't they? Heard they were good for the price..

If not.. wait for Scarlet.. Sounds amazing for 3 grand.
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Scarlet is unfortunately at least a year away. The panasonic HDC is a pretty great camera, a friend did a nascar job when they first came out and mounted them inside the car's headliner. Looked very good, although I'm not sure how they would mix with XDCAM, and last I heard 1080i only.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #9
Trustee

hv30 def. If you want to cheap then that is what to go for. Nothing wrong with HDV
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #10
New Boot

I messed up on this post -- read the next.
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #11
New Boot

Paul, I'm sorry about the reply from the hip earlier this morning, I had just woken up and for some reason I read 30p as 24p ... most likely due to my cinematic preferences/half hang over.

Here is the thing -- you could switch to the all digital hf100 -- there you will get your resolution -- you will get your tapeless -- and you will get your 30p.

However... and I say this emphatically... are you ready to deal with the AVCHD codec? The "rolling shutter" issue seems to be even more of a problem than with the hv30's 25mb hdv format, however I would guess that as a B-Roll camera, it will most likely remain stationary on a tripod, thus removing that as a barrier.

That being said -- I have only heard the worst things about the editing end of this format. Apparently due to the compression measures taken, the rendering/processing elements of the AVCHD are unforgivable and uncooperative.

To that end I would recommend that you stick with the HV30 as it will work as a great deck for any other hdv work you have (my friend only used it with his A1 -- but I see no reason why it will work exclusively with Canon), in addition, the headaches you will avoid dealing with the already established/relatively stable HDV format will more than make up for the fact that you still aren't 100 percent tapeless.

PS
Yeah the scarlet will be THE option a year from now, most likely relegating your ex1 to B-duty. However that is not a "cheapo" option like you are asking for.

With lenses/viewfinder/accessories/etc. we are still looking at around 15k for the scarlet, at least? Not to mention the images will more than likely blow the shorts off of your new and shiny ex1.

Despite the fact that it doesn't work on 3 chips, it seems as if mysterium has incorporated high-end digital slr cmos technology in allowing all 3 colors to be accurately processed without being condensed on a single chip. It will be a monster, and should be on every one's radar come next spring... or so.

Hope I am of help,
Alex.
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #12
Trustee

The HF10 and HF100 have both 24p and 30p and it records in 1920x1080. Another good suggestion is the Sony SR11 and SR12. It doesn’t have any progressive modes but I think its colors will be the closest to the EX1 mainly because its made by the same company and it borrows some of its technologies from the EX1.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:10 AM   #13
Major Player

Gee,

I've found it virtually impossible to colour match FX 7 (CMOS and Sony)footage to an EX 1, let alone a different make camera.

It was so frustrating and time comsuming I went out and bought a second EX!

We even went out and tested the Z7 to try and match that, but gave up and paid the extra for the EX.

....AND I'M SO GLAD I DID! Sitting here editing two EX's at the moment. It's great!

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM   #14
Inner Circle

All great input. It looks like the HV30 should work fine and the housing is on the market. I have read about some problems with the HF10 and HF100 but don't know more then that.

As for larger cameras I agree there are other options. And for a second HD camera I do have two EX1's but due to size and weight restrictions they can not come with me at times.

I will make a decision by the end of the week so if anyone has something I am missing I look forward to your input.
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Lots of good advice. Personally I'd go for the SR12 for the reasons mentioned.

There is this little guy I know nothing about that might be worth your consideration. Or it might be just a toy.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsR...&news_seq=6436

Ike
Ike Tamigian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds