Pro Res Plays Over Firewire? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Pro Res Plays Over Firewire?

I dropped an EX-1 1080i project onto a timeline setup in FCP Easy Setup for DV-NTSC Firewire Basic. I changed the rendering to Pro res and rendered the timeline as usual. Looks great and plays fine over firewire to my DVCAM deck.
It seems counter-intuitive that a Pro res rendered project would play over firewire. Could someone in-the-know explain how this works.
Thanks!

Kevin Jones
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

ProRes is an apple developed codec, so it would make sense that they could design FCP to perform an RT downconvert for FW output. Also, the data rate for prores is pretty low (SD file size is one of their selling points), which is how the AJA IO box works over FW800.
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Pro Res setting?

What Pro res setting did you use? Thanks.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not the HQ version. Only the standard pro res is available.
Go to Sequence>Settings>Render tab> There is a drop down menu that gives you the option of using the pro-res codec. I'm not on my mac right now, sorry about the vague details.

kj
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds