DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   35mm adapter image flip in post (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/120054-35mm-adapter-image-flip-post.html)

Dennis Joseph April 22nd, 2008 08:10 PM

35mm adapter image flip in post

Quick question-- I'm looking at the M2 redrock 35mm adapter and was wondering how you are able to flip the image in post production. Does this require rendering?Using the M2 redrock WITHOUT the flip adapter.

Is there less light loss without using the flip adapter? I noticed most of the pictures that have the m2 mounted have it without the flip. Is there an adantage?

Noah Yuan-Vogel April 22nd, 2008 08:50 PM

every non-linear editing program has the ability to flip video. depending on the NLE and your system it may mean rendering just to preview, although probably not. it may slightly increase your rendering/export time.

there is less light loss without the adapter. the reason most pictures of the M2 without the flip adapter is that the flip adapter just came out this month so very few people have it so far. in general, an optical flipping effect might be problematic in that it introduces more glass which always has the potential to reduce the quality of images, however the flip adapter also increases the distance between the camera and the ground glass which can reduce hotspot/vignetting. then again this benefit could also be achieved with a <$10 extension tube. flip adapter sure does make monitoring and post easier, though. i mean without a flip adapter (assuming whatever camera you are using doesnt support some kind of image flipping) youll need an external monitor which is more $$ and more weight. there are tradeoffs to each. also, losing more light than the M2 already does (already a lot), no matter how little, is certainly problematic for lighting.

Dennis Joseph April 22nd, 2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel (Post 865665)
every non-linear editing program has the ability to flip video. depending on the NLE and your system it may mean rendering just to preview, although probably not. it may slightly increase your rendering/export time.

there is less light loss without the adapter. the reason most pictures of the M2 without the flip adapter is that the flip adapter just came out this month so very few people have it so far. in general, an optical flipping effect might be problematic in that it introduces more glass which always has the potential to reduce the quality of images, however the flip adapter also increases the distance between the camera and the ground glass which can reduce hotspot/vignetting. then again this benefit could also be achieved with a <$10 extension tube. flip adapter sure does make monitoring and post easier, though. i mean without a flip adapter (assuming whatever camera you are using doesnt support some kind of image flipping) youll need an external monitor which is more $$ and more weight. there are tradeoffs to each. also, losing more light than the M2 already does (already a lot), no matter how little, is certainly problematic for lighting.

This will be used for the EX-1

Winston Ashley April 22nd, 2008 10:56 PM

When I use my friends M2 I have to flip it in post. It required rendering for final output. I was using a macbook pro 2.4 4gig memory. You should look at the flip image option from letus. I use the letus extreme. Hope that helps.

Noah Yuan-Vogel April 23rd, 2008 12:25 AM

hah, right, this is the xdcam ex forum after all.

if you dont normally have to render for final export, then this will take a bit more time since you have to render. i, for example, always do final export from after effects where i do color correction, so there is always some rendering going on anyway, so one flip effect on the whole timeline isnt a big deal to me. it all depends on your workflow.

letus isnt bad either, having a correctly oriented image is always nice. of course each adapter has its own issues/tradeoffs.