35mm adapter image flip in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Major Player

35mm adapter image flip in post

Quick question-- I'm looking at the M2 redrock 35mm adapter and was wondering how you are able to flip the image in post production. Does this require rendering?Using the M2 redrock WITHOUT the flip adapter.

Is there less light loss without using the flip adapter? I noticed most of the pictures that have the m2 mounted have it without the flip. Is there an adantage?
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Major Player

every non-linear editing program has the ability to flip video. depending on the NLE and your system it may mean rendering just to preview, although probably not. it may slightly increase your rendering/export time.

there is less light loss without the adapter. the reason most pictures of the M2 without the flip adapter is that the flip adapter just came out this month so very few people have it so far. in general, an optical flipping effect might be problematic in that it introduces more glass which always has the potential to reduce the quality of images, however the flip adapter also increases the distance between the camera and the ground glass which can reduce hotspot/vignetting. then again this benefit could also be achieved with a <$10 extension tube. flip adapter sure does make monitoring and post easier, though. i mean without a flip adapter (assuming whatever camera you are using doesnt support some kind of image flipping) youll need an external monitor which is more $$ and more weight. there are tradeoffs to each. also, losing more light than the M2 already does (already a lot), no matter how little, is certainly problematic for lighting.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
every non-linear editing program has the ability to flip video. depending on the NLE and your system it may mean rendering just to preview, although probably not. it may slightly increase your rendering/export time.

there is less light loss without the adapter. the reason most pictures of the M2 without the flip adapter is that the flip adapter just came out this month so very few people have it so far. in general, an optical flipping effect might be problematic in that it introduces more glass which always has the potential to reduce the quality of images, however the flip adapter also increases the distance between the camera and the ground glass which can reduce hotspot/vignetting. then again this benefit could also be achieved with a <$10 extension tube. flip adapter sure does make monitoring and post easier, though. i mean without a flip adapter (assuming whatever camera you are using doesnt support some kind of image flipping) youll need an external monitor which is more $$ and more weight. there are tradeoffs to each. also, losing more light than the M2 already does (already a lot), no matter how little, is certainly problematic for lighting.
This will be used for the EX-1
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

When I use my friends M2 I have to flip it in post. It required rendering for final output. I was using a macbook pro 2.4 4gig memory. You should look at the flip image option from letus. I use the letus extreme. Hope that helps.
Winston Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:25 AM   #5
Major Player

hah, right, this is the xdcam ex forum after all.

if you dont normally have to render for final export, then this will take a bit more time since you have to render. i, for example, always do final export from after effects where i do color correction, so there is always some rendering going on anyway, so one flip effect on the whole timeline isnt a big deal to me. it all depends on your workflow.

letus isnt bad either, having a correctly oriented image is always nice. of course each adapter has its own issues/tradeoffs.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds