Cavision Matte Box at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cavision Matte Box

When I said I was going to get the Cavision matte box a while back Bob and a couple others asked me to post my opinion of it. You may have seen I said some time back that I had had problems with the company getting timely service and this delayed my getting a working box. My problems with the company are now resolved and I can comment on the matte box as it works with the EX1.

Cavision sells a matte box that they say is specifically for the EX1. This description is a little deceptive for while their matte box (the MB4501 or the MB45m2-BFI which they tell me are exactly the same?) does fit on to the EX1 using the Arri 77 to 100 step up ring and Cavision's matte box clamp, the LCD of the EX1 can not be flipped open while the matte box is attached.

BUT there is good news! With a little machining that took me no more than seven or eight minutes it can be made to fit perfectly and why Cavision has not done this I do not know.

What is required is to machine about 1mm from the top of the farthest backwards circular plate of the matte box and to machine about 2mm from the backside of the plastic clip that is part of the french flag attachment.

So the bottom line is I am very happy with my $500 Cavision matte box even though I may well be the only person in the world that has one that fits the EX1.

Mike
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Mike, can you post some Pics please...
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, pics please! I am very interested in this matte box and your feedback is very helpful.

By "machining" do you mean with a metal file or did you actually use a grinder to take off this extra material?
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I got my matte box to fit... until I installed Sony's 0.8x angle lens.
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

If it is like the wide angle for the Z1 Sony does not put a thread on the front! try to exchange it for a wide angle with thread and with a new adapter ring you may be OK.
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Here are two pictures of the minimal machine work (or simple hand filing) that allows the LCD to flip in and out with the Cavision matte box.
Attached Images

Old May 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Matte Box + 1.6x tele

Is anyone using the Cavision MB and the Century 1.6 tele? I am curious how it might all fit together, or if it does. Can you still place filters in front of the glass? If anyone has pics of this set up that would be great too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds