Battery zapping on EX-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 24th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Battery zapping on EX-1

I believe I saw something about this subject here once before, but I recently experienced it. I left a battery attached to a turned-off EX-1 and the battery became fully drained. Any idea why? I would think a company as good electronically as Sony would have caught this in testing.

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #2
Major Player

The fix to the problem is don't leave a battery on the camera.

I know that it sucks and that a camera shouldn't do this, but that is the way it is. Sony dropped the ball on this one, but for all the other good things the camera does, I will put up with it.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The reason is this.

One of the buttons on the top (but under the handle grip) displays info about the batter... i.e. remaining life, and times charged.

Well even if the camera is "OFF" the connection remains. Which takes power to run, therefore it drains the battery.

Heard this from a Sony rep at their booth in NAB. He says they will probably take out the 'feature' of battery info on the next model. But for now, the fix is remove the battery.

I agree that they dropped the ball, but also agree with Daniel, I'll put up with this one
Nick Schale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Major Player

But still, it seems to draw about 25% of the full operating current (given the time it takes to drain). That's an awful lot for a battery metering circuit.

I think there's more to it.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree

The battery info makes sense. I remember the old clocks in car dashboards that could eventually run down a car battery if the car sat for months without running. I agree the camera has great features. I have been taking the battery off too since I read the first post of this. I though Sony might be able to fix this with an update, but if it is hard wired, I doubt that would be possible. I am having a ball with the camera and learning more about it everyday.

Thanks for the feedback.

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Trustee

wow does that affect the operation time as well? BTW, what is the max time u guys have achieved with the standard battery with LCD on?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Trustee

I don't believe that the battery info button is the cause of the battery drain. I have had other Sony cams with the same feature- I could, and often did, leave the battery in for months with hardly any drain. Something else is going on. I'm not sure that even Sony knows what it is at this point.
Robert Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds