Does B&H ship units with new firmware? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 28th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #16
Major Player

I bought my EX1 last Monday (4/21) in Atlanta and it came with 1.03 and it was supposedly from a "fresh" shipment.....but who knows?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Right now, we can sense that customers reading this forum are stalling their EX1 orders.
Got that right!

There is even more at stake because Sony indicated at NAB08 there will be yet another firmware upgrade (July-August) to coincide with the EX3 launch. It is supposed to deliver at least three new significant features: SDI with proper 24p, Hard Drive Support and 3rd Party SxS support. Guess how long its going to take to clear out existing inventory before we see that firmware release in newly shipped EX1s. Then again based upon Sony's current track record, how many more firmware updates will be needed to get these new features to deliver reliably and as advertised.

Sony Broadcast, repair depots and its Pro Dealers really need to get their tools and business practices in order. As clearly explained above, for the money involved, all we are getting are shameful excuses/stories and firmware updates that can only be done by Sony at a properly equipped Sony repair depot. Most distressing of all is that most pro dealers are clueless as to what they are shipping or they simply don't give a hoot, just so long as they are making their sales quota's.

Moreover, there is no tangible indication from Sony to prove that they will launch and deliver the EX3 without the same EX1 blunders. Add up all the lost time and the expense that existing owners have shelled out. The customer should not have to do Sony's R&D work, nor compensate for their vapor ware quality control.

At this time, I cannot justify the investment of my hard earned money or lost time that are required to own an EX-n camera, let alone draconian firmware updates. So much potential but at the end of the day -- totally unacceptable!!!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
Moreover, there is no tangible indication from Sony to prove that they will launch and deliver the EX3 without the same EX1 blunders. Add up all the lost time and the expense that existing owners have shelled out. The customer should not have to do Sony's R&D work, nor compensate for their vapor ware quality control.
Gentle. I agree with you. However, customer backlash will just teach them to deliver bug fixes rather than new features. Perhaps they will even sell firmware upgrades.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Gentle. I agree with you. However, customer backlash will just teach them to deliver bug fixes rather than new features. Perhaps they will even sell firmware upgrades.
Microsoft has demonstrated with VISTA how well that business strategy is not working and so customer backlash now has them supporting XP out to 2012. But wait, Windows 7 is going to set things right by delivering what the customer wants. See the pattern ...

Customer loyalty has to be earned and maintained even in the broadcast world.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
Microsoft has demonstrated with VISTA how well that business strategy is not working and so customer backlash now has them supporting XP out to 2012. But wait, Windows 7 is going to set things right by delivering what the customer wants. See the pattern ...

Customer loyalty has to be earned and maintained even in the broadcast world.
We all know the process. Delay the product longer so that software is perfect. Still, there is little reason for Sony to offer new features on the EX1. We are very fortunate they've decided to do so. I've sat on all sorts of software development teams, and giving away free features, especially some so that the EX1 will be closer but not match the EX3, is always a low priority.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #21
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Cox View Post
Unless something has changed very recently B&H wont ship the EX1 overseas.
For the record, this is a Sony USA rule and not B&H's. In theory it applies to every authorized Sony USA retailer.
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #22
Major Player

But B&H would ship an European customer's EX1-order to an US-addressee - is that correct?
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #23
Major Player

Just got the shipment notification on my EX1 order from B&H!

Now if "As per Sony 95% of our inventory has the new firmware. Unfortunately you cannot see it on the outside of the box." is correct, I have a 19 out of 20 shot of getting current firmware.

Translated to the real world, that amounts to a 50/50 chance, right? But if everyone on the forum will just cross their fingers for me, at the same time, ready 1-2-3.

Thanks everyone. That should do it.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Strother View Post
Just got the shipment notification on my EX1 order from B&H!

Now if "As per Sony 95% of our inventory has the new firmware. Unfortunately you cannot see it on the outside of the box." is correct, I have a 19 out of 20 shot of getting current firmware.

Translated to the real world, that amounts to a 50/50 chance, right? But if everyone on the forum will just cross their fingers for me, at the same time, ready 1-2-3.

Thanks everyone. That should do it.

You can;t see the firmware version on the box but you can see the s/n. It is safe to say that the higher the s/n the higher your chances of a newer firmware. I believe that someone purchased a s/n of about 4,000 last month and recieved v1.03 where as I purchased a s/n 4700 and got v1.05 . I would say that anything about 4,500 should be v1.05+
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Question for Dennis

Dennis, how is your new EX1 working? Any issues?

Dave McCallister
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McCallister View Post
Dennis, how is your new EX1 working? Any issues?

Dave McCallister

Very good actually. No paint problems no vignetting, I thought that I had a backfocus issue but that was operator error. That seems to be fine. All and all I have no complaints besides the dreaded rolling shutter. If this camera was 4-2-2 doing 50 mbs/vbr with global shutter I think I would buy 4 of them. Throw 2 of them under next years Christmas tree. Hopefully the EX-5 will not have rolling shutter.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #27
New Boot

Hello,

May be a stupid question. Where or how will I find the EX1 firmware version info ??
Hans van Enkhuijzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans van Enkhuijzen View Post
Hello,

May be a stupid question. Where or how will I find the EX1 firmware version info ??
Push the Menu, Cancel, and Select button at once.

Then you'll see extra menu's appear, and in some of them, you can find it.

BTW: I have a very old firmware, 1.02. I know Sony said that the new firmware would help the backfocus problem, but many people with the new firmware have the backfocus problem also.
With the method of people on this boards, I have been able to fix the backfocus for the most part. I don't seem to have any vignetting, although I want to perform a third check to make sure ;-).

This brings up the question: what could a newer firmware provide for me?
I'm not planning to send my camera to Sony if my troubles are gone, and the camera does with it have to do, but then what are the differences in the firmwares?

And will they, in the future, make the firmware's user-upgradeable?
There still seems to be conflicting information regarding this point...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
And will they, in the future, make the firmware's user-upgradeable?
Mathieu, I spoke to a Sony technician in Cologne yesterday - about buying in the US and getting support in Europe at one's one expense - and he seemed to be sure that future upgrades will not be user-upgradeable.

Side info for all Europeans who, like me, plan to buy in the US:
Not having European Prime support a backfocus problem fix (including firmware upload) would cost approx. 250 Euro.
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann View Post
Side info for all Europeans who, like me, plan to buy in the US:
Not having European Prime support a backfocus problem fix (including firmware upload) would cost approx. 250 Euro.
What is wrong with this picture?

In the first place, the camera comes with a 1-year warranty, parts and labor. So why should a customer have to pay extra to resolve a manufacture's defect (i.e. backfocus fix and a firmware bug fix). There are national and international laws to prevent this sort of thing from happening. I believe in the US there is a mechanism called Class Action Suit's which are inflicted upon reputable manufacturer's both hardware and software/firmware to sort out the very issues appearing in these forums. Bottom line is that a manufacturer does not have license to indiscriminately take advantage of a consumer.

If there is a lawyer in this forum, please enlighten us on national and international law regarding warranty so that folks can make an informed purchase?

Last edited by Barry J. Anwender; April 29th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds