Express Card slot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Express Card slot

Brought a new hp laptop with express card slot loaded the driver for the sxs card, stuck the card in and well uh nothing.
Looked in device manager no memory technology card installed.
Add new hardware manually, located the sxs card driver in drop down box loaded the driver and the dreaded blue screen appears.
Removed driver but can use card slot. Anyone else had this problem

thanks
J. Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nope. Worked perfectly for me, first time, on an Acer laptop.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jason,

What you're describing happened to me as well, but only with the PCIe-> ExpressCard adapter I installed in my PC; my laptop's ExpressCard reader can see SxS cards without problems.

But you could try to make yours see it as well by cold-booting the laptop with a card in the reader - it works for me with the PC. Once booted this way, it will see any new SxS card inserted (though I need to use Device Manager to "mount" and "unmount" the device each time between swapping the cards).

Installing new hardware by pointing to the Sony SxS driver always leads to BSOD, and shouldn't be used.
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Have you loaded the Sony EX software?
Robb Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I installed the SxS driver on my Dell laptop (running XP) with no problems. The computer recognizes the cards and I don't have to mount the devices. I do unmount the device out of caution, but haven't had any problems when I forget.
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Trustee

if shooting HDV, we can use the firewire right? Only in HQ that we need to unload manually via the expresscard slot. For a PC, I will need to buy an expresscard adapter, rite?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #7
Trustee

Ok, I looked thru the expresscard readers but I'm confused what works.. seems that some use the PCI-e while some can use USB2.0. I would suspect the former works only due to the high data rate requirements. Can someone confirm which brand works? The Sony card reader costs quite a bomb now!
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Sean,

Both work, with the PCIe version being several times faster (sic), but also trickier in that it's not "quite" hot-swapable (search elsewhere in this forum - myself and others did comment on this in several threads).
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Trustee

Wow thks for the quick reply! The prob is my desktop is out of reach. I think a desktop access is better. Looking for alternatives like esata to expresscard now.
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

http://www.synchrotech.com/products-...-drive_02.html
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds