DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   New EX1 clips, Yosemite and Borneo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/120603-new-ex1-clips-yosemite-borneo.html)

Daniel Weber April 29th, 2008 11:58 PM

New EX1 clips, Yosemite and Borneo

I have just put up 2 new clips on my website,

www.frametheworld.net

if you click on the "Videos" link at the top of the page, you can view
the clips, Yosemite and Sarawak.

Both are iPhone size and might take a while to download.

I am working on higher rez versions to post at a later date.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Daniel Weber

Gints Klimanis April 30th, 2008 04:23 PM

Very nice, expecially the Borneo piece about village life. We'd REALLY like to see the high rez clips.

Brad Vaughan April 30th, 2008 06:55 PM

Wow what splendid footage.

The colors in the Sarawak piece are so pleasing to the eyes!

Gonna have to check out the other videos now too!

Daniel Weber April 30th, 2008 08:43 PM

Brad,

Thanks for the comments.

The Sarawak piece was fun to do, though it wasn't fun going with a shower for a week!!! Jungle Rot is no fun either.

Right now I am working on putting the Sarawak piece through Apple's Color app as a test. I am just starting to play with it, so it might be a while before I have something to show.

The Sarawak piece was straight out of the camera, no color fx work at all. It was a great place to shoot. The only thing I did to the camera was to setup a Picture Profile where I had 5600K set as the preset.

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber April 30th, 2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 870151)
Very nice, expecially the Borneo piece about village life. We'd REALLY like to see the high rez clips.

Gints,

Working on it as I write this.

Daniel Weber

Brad Vaughan May 1st, 2008 11:28 AM

Wow...raw color footage!?! That's amazing!

I can only imagine what running it thru Apple's Color App will do!

Simply beautiful!

Daniel Weber May 1st, 2008 11:34 AM

I played with Color until 2 am this morning and still need to figure out some things on the work flow.

I just ran my Yosemite video through MB Looks and am very happy with it. I hope to post an HD version soon.

The Sarawak piece was shot at only the 25 mbs 1080i setting as well. I need to mix it with some HDV stuff shot with a Z1 as part of a larger project. I really wish that I had shot 1080p instead. How often do you get a chance to shoot stuff like that!!!

Thanks,

Daniel Weber

Steve Phillipps May 1st, 2008 11:57 AM

Nice clean images, very impressive. Just gotta watch those clipping highlights though, something I've seen on other EX1 clips too. Don't know the camera myself so can't speak with authority, but wondering if can underexpose to preserve the highlights then bring up the mid tones and shadows in post. Also, I think the picture profile settings have yet to be optimised on the EX cameras, you need something that flattens the image, giving as much dynamic range as possible so you've got plenty to work with in the grade. Need Alan Roberts from BBC to get his grubby paws on it!
Thanks for posting, always good to see some real world footage instead of just numbers and opinions!
Steve

Daniel Weber May 1st, 2008 01:02 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. The Yosemite stuff was shot pretty flat, but I think that I can get the camera to record more dynamic range. I have found that the weak link is the LCD. It tends to show a more contrasty image than what is being recorded. The LCD isn't bad, but I need to work with the settings a little more. I also need learn to use the histogram more.

Adam Wilt said that he tweaked his camera to get close to 10 stops of dynamic range. I need to find out his exact settings.

Daniel Weber

Steve Phillipps May 1st, 2008 02:42 PM

With the BBC settings for the likes of Varicam, Sony HDCams etc. we get an extra 2.5 - 3 stops dynamic range through altering the knee slope, gamma, and also the detail settings are changed. This gives a flat, muddy and soft-looking image straight out of the camera, and if you weren't going to do a grade you just wouldn't use these settings, or you'd get fired as soon as the producer saw the shots! But of course what it does is give you the maximum amount of information to work with. You then grade in more contrast, colour etc. selectively and separately to highlight, mids and shadows. It makes a BIG difference. Then in shooting of course, you set zebras to 95-100% and keep them off the shot so you know you've kept your highlights - even if the pic looks under-exposed you'll still have plenty of info in the shadows to pull out. Sometimes this can introduce a bit of noise (obviously depends on amlunt of under-exposing) but seemingly the EX1 is pretty good on noise so that'll help.
Problem is the BBC guy who does the settings (Lord Alan Roberts) hasn't done EX1 tests and settings!
Steve

Steve

Daniel Weber May 1st, 2008 09:03 PM

Steve,

I do have my zebras set at 95% and try not to let them go over that.

My thing is that I am more of a camera operator than a tech guy. I guess I need to get down and dirty with the menus and settings on the camera.

Let me know if the "BBC Guru" gets his hands on an EX1 and comes up with some settings!!!

Daniel Weber

Steve Phillipps May 2nd, 2008 02:12 AM

Alan Roberts posts on Dv Doctor forum a fair bit. His settings can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp034.shtml but not the EX1 - yet! It seems they were going to test it but they bought out their new delivery criteria and the EX1 fell just below it, so they didn't bother!
Steve

Daniel Weber May 2nd, 2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 870853)
Alan Roberts posts on Dv Doctor forum a fair bit. His settings can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp034.shtml but not the EX1 - yet! It seems they were going to test it but they bought out their new delivery criteria and the EX1 fell just below it, so they didn't bother!
Steve

The EX1 fell below their quality criteria? I am surprised by that. I wonder if it was because the lens is not changeable.

Didn't the BBC approve the old JVC 700 miniDV camera a few years back? If they approved that one, they should jump at the EX1.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Daniel Weber

Steve Phillipps May 2nd, 2008 12:23 PM

Check this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/dq/p...ery_v01_08.pdf which gives BBC acceptability list. Prob with EX1 is not lens it's data rate, only 35 mb/sec and needs to be 50 mb/sec. New Flash XDR box from Convergent Designs will solve this with data rates upto 100 mb/sec 4:2:2 from the HD SDI.
Steve

Daniel Weber May 2nd, 2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 870151)

Gints,

I have uploaded higher rez and color graded versions to:

http://exposureroom.com/members/weberda.aspx/

Enjoy,

Daniel Weber