DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   ? Airport Security Screening of EX-1 & SxS Cards? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/120662-airport-security-screening-ex-1-sxs-cards.html)

William Urschel April 30th, 2008 10:04 PM

? Airport Security Screening of EX-1 & SxS Cards?

I am planning on taking an EX-1, mics, 7 SxS cards, and all kinds of accessories as carry on in an air trip in a couple of days, and not having traveled by air in over two years, and hearing that screening is now a lot more onerous, I wonder what the experience (good, bad, or indifferent) of other owners of EX-1 or similar equipement is, in the screening process. I assume that the SxS cards are impervious to any of the X-Ray equipment used in screening, but would appreciate knowing if anyone has had any trouble in this regard.

I will be moving tripods, monopods, and various support gear in checked luggage.

Eric Pascarelli April 30th, 2008 10:08 PM

No issue with x-rays and SxS cards.

The only risk I've heard of in taking the EX1 on a plane is cosmic rays damaging the chips when airborne. It's even mentioned in the manual.

Erwin van Dijck May 1st, 2008 03:36 AM

Stuff has been through x-rays multiple times now, and no problems.

The EX looks funny on a x-ray screen btw.

regards,
Erwin

Piotr Wozniacki May 1st, 2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin van Dijck (Post 870347)
The EX looks funny on a x-ray screen btw.

As a side note, the Letus looks even more funny on the x-ray screen - like a bomb of some sort ;)

Steven D. Martin May 1st, 2008 04:19 AM

I've taken my EX1 on two legs of an international trip now- and doing another one today. My EX1 sailed through security screenings with no problems (although in the US you have to take the camera out of the bag and put it in a tray). The guy behind me in line, though, had a large round solid that caused a diligent search of his bag. It was a big piece of cheese.

The moral of the story: Cheese is more likely than an EX1 to hold you up in the security check.

Sean Donnelly May 1st, 2008 04:53 AM

How about the BP-U60's? I've heard of trouble sending Anton Bauer Dionics because of the quantity of lithium. There was a thread a while ago, but I don't think anyone had tried it at that point.

-Sean

Bill Ward May 1st, 2008 11:28 AM

I don't think any of the Sony batteries in the EX1 size will trigger the alarm in the airport...they should be well under the lithium size restriction.

Just remember that in the US, you can't put the lithium batteries in your checked luggage. You must carry them on, and isolated in packaging designed to keep them separated from each other and contact with any metal shorting opportunities.

Scott Karlins May 1st, 2008 12:20 PM

What about tripods? Can they be carried on, or only checked? With all the lost luggage these days, I hate to check anything. I have a Miller DS20 carbon in its zippered soft carry bag. How do you all do tripods, if checked? Disguise in a box?

Scott K.

Raymond Schlogel May 1st, 2008 01:28 PM

I was almost surprised going to NAB, I had my EX1, batteries, laptop, big eternal hard drive, an on camera light, all in my carry on and going through security 4 times on the way there and back (stopped in Arizona to see the parents) and didn't get my bags opened once. I checked my Sachtler tripod in the case it came with, too big to carry on even if I wanted to, and had no trouble. I actually wrapped some jeans and shirts around the tripod to save luggage space and to help keep it protected.

- Ray

Swen Goebbels May 2nd, 2008 08:00 AM

I just came back from a 6 week USA trip now and got zero problems with the Ex1. I'm allways affraid about the security controlls, cause 3 years ago they closed a whole Terminal at Frankfurt Airport, because they thought I had a bomb in my notebook! (A bomb squad team was there.... like in a movie :-) )

The only thing the security people said about the Ex1 "Wow, what a nice big camera" :-)

I flight back two days ago there was a sign "Cameras with tape has to removed form the bags".... normaly I allways removed my equipment completly, but this time I thought "Hey, no tapes!" and did not open the bag for the security. Also the batteries are no problem. I took them all in my hand-baggage with the camera. Only my hand-baggage is too heavy now, but normaly they don't check the weight.

Scott Karlins May 2nd, 2008 03:14 PM

What about tripods? Can they be carried on, or only checked? With all the lost luggage these days, I hate to check anything. I have a Miller DS20 carbon in its zippered soft carry bag. How do you all do tripods, if checked? Disguise in a box?

Scott K.

Doug Okamoto May 2nd, 2008 04:57 PM

What I usually do with my carbon tripod is wrap it in bubble-wrap, stuff it into the tripod bag then put it into a box with more bubble-wrap. I seal the box really well with packing tape. Probably a little overkill but I figure with a $3K tripod I want to be safe. I haven't had a problem with TSA. Now my check bag with Leatherman tool and safety gear ALWAYS gets opened...

You could also try to "gate check" the tripod (which means you walk up to the airplane and hand it to the flight attendant and they give you a ticket while the baggage handler literally throws the bag into the cargo hold. I don't recommend this, no telling where the bag ends up then. I have never done this, you might want to check with the airline and see if they will do that. I would still at least wrap the tripod with bubble-wrap.

I really doubt they let you on the plane with the tripod, with the way they are packing planes now a days, there isn't much room for carry on items. Most airlines are getting fairly strict about carry ons and size limitations.

Scott Karlins May 2nd, 2008 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info Doug. I just worry about my boxed tripod getting lost. I think the gate check idea may be the way to go, since I can get it as soon as the plane lands. Like folks do with baby strollers. Less chance of it getting lost.

Scott K.

Doug Okamoto May 2nd, 2008 05:49 PM

Check with the airline before every flight you do this, regulations and procedures change all the time.

There is more of a chance that you will be held up at your destination because it often takes a while to get the baggage from the hold up to the gantry.

In all the trips I've taken with gear (probably 10 or 12 trips) I haven't lost anything big. Now the small stuff than can "fall out" of a sealed bag while being checked by TSA is problematic. I haven't lost anything really valuable, some tools and such but don't talk to Douglas Spotted Eagle about this, he looses stuff all the time when TSA checks his bags!

Josh Chesarek May 2nd, 2008 05:56 PM

Your safest most insured bet is still probably FedEx or UPS with insurance sent a few days ahead of you to your destination. I still pack my Cheap 501 Bogen in checked luggage though :)