Can't get SDI to work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can't get SDI to work

Hi everyone. As I experiment more with my EX-1 I find there is so much I don't know. Today, I tried to get a signal out of the SDI connector to my
PVM-8044Q 9 inch monitor. If I connect RGB from the camera to the montor it works, but when I try to go SDI to Monitor, I get nothing. I can tell there is some signal there as the screen goes to snow if I pull the BNC connector off the camera. I think I had all the settings correct according to the book, but no joy. Also, a second question. Is there anyway to clear the LCD of all the overlays when shooting or viewing playback? There has to be a button that would allow this without going into the menu.
Thanks in advance.

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Phil,
If you are seeing snow on the monitor from the SDI output from the camera then your monitor settings are not set to HDSDI input but are on composite video. If you didn't see the snow the I would suspect the camera wasn't outputting a signal
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The Display button under the handle will solve that. Also, are you sure it's a PVM-8044Q? If so, it won't accept SDI. The 8044Q's that I've seen do not have SDI boards, only SD via built in component/composite via BNC and the S-Video connections.
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks all

After I wrote this I wondered if the problem is that I have an analog monitor trying to see a digital signal? I will play with it again. I guess the main concern is that the camera and the SDI are in fact working. Since it is a new camera I would like to know all systems are functioning. I did find the button under the handle and that took care of the info on the LCD. Thanks.

Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Major Player

To the best of my knowledge, snow is an analog phenomenon, so if you are seeing snow, chances are you have an analog monitor, or are at least viewing the analog ins.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Trustee

The Sony PVM-8044Q Monitors I have used are analog only but I assumed Phil might have an HDSDI adapter when he first posted. Remember not all BNC connectors are looking for the same signal.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
To the best of my knowledge, snow is an analog phenomenon, so if you are seeing snow, chances are you have an analog monitor, or are at least viewing the analog ins.
you can see pink snow over sdi.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Major Player

check to see if in the "others" (i believe) menu on the camera, the ilink is turned off. I had this same problem. If you enable the firewire/ilink port, it disables the hd-sdi port.

Also, in the display menu, you can change the output signal from HD-SDI to SD-SDI. I've never seen an 8044q with HD-SDI, but it's possible.... the monitor has a max of 450tvl, so I'd suspect that IF it indeed has an SDI input, it would be an SD-SDI input. Try that setting on the camera output and hopefully it'll work. If not, you're not losing any resolution by using the composite output from the camera when the monitor can only display 450 lines.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds