DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 kit & MacBook Pro in one carry-on (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/120904-ex1-kit-macbook-pro-one-carry.html)

Matt Davis May 4th, 2008 01:13 PM

EX1 kit & MacBook Pro in one carry-on

Over the last few years, I've had to pay in between $100 and $300 per European flight due to packing camera into peli-case and checking it in (30Kg with my clothing too). And there's a tripod too.

Due to UK rules, most flights from UK allow only one carry-on. I'm trying to find a way of putting the following into a single carry-on bag:

- Z1 or EX1
- MacBook Pro 17" + mains brick
- 2x bus powered hard disks
- 1x G2 radio mic system (2 pods, 2x cables, brick for stick mic)
- 3x batteries and charger
- Short shotgun mic and wind shield
- Reporter's mic

I've got a (get this <blush>) Jasper Conran carry on which does this all (and more!) but has no internal padding and has a habit of doing a Michael Schumacher on airport corners. I value my wrists too much to repeat this regularly.

And it really does not like being loaded with 7.5 Kg of kit.

So: Storm 2500, Pelicase 1510 or something else. I don't think either the Storm or the Peli will work - have you made it work?

Has anyone got the Explorer 5122? It seems deeper than the others and could just fit a MBP17 into the lid...

Peter Donaldson May 4th, 2008 02:35 PM

carry on Ex1 etc

I've just bought a Kata HB207 backpack which should fit all your items. It is touch and go whether i will be allowed to carry it on and will know soon.
Peter Donaldson

James Huenergardt May 4th, 2008 04:07 PM

I have the Kata HB207 backpack and it fits my Sony EX1 or Z1U AND my new MacBook Pro 17" along with my Nikon D70, 18-75mm lens, Nikon 80-200 f2.8 lens, Sony EX1 battery charger, cables, and a G-Tech Mini hard drive as well as 4 SxS cards in their cases and my Nikon SB-800 flash as well as 2 Sony EX1 batteries.

It fits in the overhead compartment of 737, MD80, 757, etc.

If you stuff too much stuff in the back pockets, it won't fit. I had a 1.5" book I removed and was able to fit it in the overhead just fine. I carried it on, then removed the book before putting it in the overhead.

It's an awesome setup. It weighs a lot (with all my stuff), but it's great having my hands free running through the airport, especially traveling with my wife and kids.

It's quite comfortable too.

Hope this helps.

Benjamin Eckstein May 4th, 2008 07:21 PM

I have the 207 as well and have done 6 flights so far with no problems. Its big when fully loaded but it is great. Its a great, supportive backpack too, and saves my back compared with my old Porta Brace shoulder bags.

Dan Chung May 5th, 2008 09:54 PM

The best solution I've found for my EX-1 is this Think tank backpack http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_pr...ArprtAccel.php Because UK airports have very strict carry on regulations I've had lots of problems with larger backpacks. The laptop is held in an external pouch, I ditched the laptop case that comes with the bag and use a Speck clear case instead http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Laptop-Pro...17INCH---Clear
When you get to the check-in the laptop can then be easily removed and carried so the bag will still fit into the luggage size checking cradle. The EX-1 is a tight fit and you have to put it on its side, but it works. I also fit the charger, wide angle, light, mics and a 35mm stills camera as well.

I think any hard case like a Pelican automatically encourages check in staff to weigh it, resulting in having to check it in. What I used to do, especially after 9/11 was to put my clothes and other stuff into a backpack, then inside a 1640 peli case. If I was then asked to check my cameras due to weight issues then I would take the clothes backpack out and check it seperately, then put the Think tank backpack containing my cameras into the Peli for check-in.

Hope this helps.

Matt Davis May 7th, 2008 09:46 AM

Thanks for the replies - the Kata seems to have won many friends and the Think Tank is an interesting alternative. If only it took a 17" MBP...

I'll try finding a Kata, but I've since 'accidentally' bought an Explorer EXP5122 which will just scrape into the EasyJet measurements, take the 17" MacBook Pro (the deal breaker for most bags) in the lid and theoretically take a Z1 underneath.

I'll post the results when it comes.

Dan Chung May 7th, 2008 10:46 AM

Matt,

I don't think I explained very well, the Think tank does take a 17inch MBP, the external pouch is on the front of the bag allowing for easy removal at the x-ray. I actually much prefer this to having the laptop buried in the bag itself. Have a look at the Think tank website.

Also be aware that the EX-1 is much fatter all round than a Z1. The EX-1 on its own pretty much takes up all the UK carry on width restriction.

Hope this helps

Dan

Matt Davis May 7th, 2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 873525)
the Think tank does take a 17inch MBP, the external pouch is on the front of the bag allowing for easy removal at the x-ray.

Thanks Dan - I saw the website, which stated 15" laptops, not 17" - but if I'd thought it through... (after all, my Brenthaven converts from 15 to 17 by taking a bit of stuffing out of the bottom).

Did you get yours in London?

Dan Chung May 7th, 2008 11:47 AM

Ah, I see where why your confused by the Think tank now, the page I sent you states that the case that comes with the bag fits a 15inch, but I was looking at the spec sheet for putting the laptop straight into the backpack without the Thinktank laptop case. Look here http://www.thinktankphoto.com/pdfs/T...Comparison.pdf

However I thought the Mac was too vunerable on its own, which is why I use the Speck case for protection.

In London you can buy it at Jacobs in New Oxford Street, or online at www.snapperstuff.com

Dan

Matt Davis May 8th, 2008 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 873556)

Just got through the process of cancelling my Explorer case order, and had contact with Helen at SnapperStuff - my ThinkTank Airport Acceleration with AI17 arrives tomorrow ready for my first of six flights in three weeks.

Dan, many thanks for your info and recommendation. Good to know it's going to work!

Mick Haensler May 9th, 2008 04:23 AM

Check this out.

http://www.cinebags.com/backpackcb22.html

I have been using the earlier version for a year now with my Z1. It fits in most airline overhead compartments and can handle a lot of gear. At first I didn't think it was all that rugged. But after using it for a year week in and week out, it has held up very well.

Mick Haensler

Adam Simpson May 9th, 2008 08:40 AM

Agree with Kata 207 suggestion

I second the Kata 207 suggestion. I have had one for over three years. It has been around the world several times. Brazil, Europe, the Middle East. It first carried my HVX and now one of my EX1's. I just got back from a trip to the Middle East. It had one EX1, 17" Macbook, four Lacie Rugged HD's, 2 Sennheiser wireless kits, Power Supply, extra batteries, extra SxS cards, 2 LEDZ MiniPar lights, and one Litepanels Micro, cables, and various travel documents. I also have the insert trolley they sell and although not perfect it works good and is recommended for airports. I was only once questioned about the size on a smaller regional jet (they asked for me to allow them to put it with checked bags at the gate), but when I persisted and mentioned the value of the gear, I was able to keep it and put it under the seat in front of me. There have been a few times at the gate they said because of the full flights they would have to check larger carry ons. I just threw it over my shoulder and acted like it was not there and was never questioned. I also have the smaller Kata backpack bag for my second EX1. I think the 201? It also is good for the EX1 and 15" (the 17 will fit, but it tight).