EX1 slow zooming interrupted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 slow zooming interrupted

Does anybody notice that if you try to do a slow zoom on EX1, the movement is not consistent and uniform, but shivered and interrupted. When I press the servo zoom lever, it will go without producing any zoom, until it's reaching a point where the lens start zooming. If I keep the lever at this position, the lest will zoom 30% then stop. I'll have to press more on the lever to make the lens continue zooming again (of course it will move faster). Is this just a defect in my camera or a sign of a cheap lens used in EX1?

It is easy to see the problem if you set the LOW ZOOM SPEED in the menu to a value less than 20(try15) and than do the zooming using the on-handle zoom button on Slow .My camera with a value of 10 will not do any zooming, and an interrupted zooming with a value of 20.

I used to work with JVC GY-DV500 - FUJINON 14X7 original lens, and Sony PDX10 camera and both of them produced a much smoother zoom then my precious EX1.

Any help is much appreciated.
Mike
Mike Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Mike,

I noticed that at first with my EX1 when I got it in December.

It will eventually go through a break in period. I also bought a Varizoom controller. It works great.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is a sample of what I am talking about;
the first half I am zooming wide, where the problem is not that evident, and the second part zooming tele where I am keeping the button on the on-handle zoom continuously pressed.

http://www.drmehr.com/test/ex1_zooming.wmv

Daniel, are you saying that after a while the lens works much smoother? Is the lever becoming more sensitive as on PD170?

Thank you,
Mike
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Are you holding the button down all way?

I was referring to slightly pushing on the lever. Mine "broke in" after a while and is much smoother than when I first bought it. The varizoom is still better.

I can't relate it to a PD170 since I have never used one. i can relate it to a Z1 though and the EX1 was not as smooth as the Z1.
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Mike,
My cam had/has that problem. I read of others who had that problem and it was fixed at the Sony Service Centers. Mine went in and they neglected to fix it (but they fixed the BF problem and updated the firmware), so its going back to Sony tomorrow.

But yes, its the same issue and others have reported it and have been able to get it fixed. My loaner cam from the dealer has excellent zoom control, so it is not that all EXs are like this.

B
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Excellent news. You took a stone from my hart. I will call Sony tomorrow and arrange for shipping the camera in.

Thank you mue mucho!
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Old thread months ago. I had that problem and sent the camera in. Sony sent me a new camera.

Test by going to menu and setting the low zoom speed to something like 3. Then use the top handle zoom set to L.

If it steps and pauses rather than zooms, you have the issue. My old cam did it with zooms under 10 and really pronounced under 7. New camera is smooth at 2 but it's a little rough at 1.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

LOW ZOOM SPEED at 3? Are you kidding me? My camera low zooming freeze at 15.

Thank you
Mike Mona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds