My EX arrives today! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

My EX arrives today!

I've been reading everything in this forum for months now while I saved for the EX1 to replace my aging (that's and understatement) GL1. I have learned so much from all of you that I wanted to thank you all for the good information that helped me make, and feel comfortable with this expensive purchase. I have drooled over your example footage, studied your recommended gear lists, examined the workflow suggestions and even puzzled at the back focus and vignetting issues, all before having a camera of my own. UPS tracking shows a package arriving today that can only be my EX1. It will go with me into the high sierras on a climbing trip this summer, and be the ultimate tool for documentary projects that are waiting for it to arrive. Maybe soon I'll post clips of my own and learn enough to make informed posts on this forum and thus the circle of digital life will continue.

Thank you all.
Mark Willey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Mark,you'll love this cam and the workflow.
Which editing program will you use ?

Ok,Vignetting,,,( i'm lucky enough not to have it) luck of the draw but i expect you'll be ok,you're not one of the first batch now,or you shouldn't be !!

Backfocus,,,easy to fix if it isn't quite right on your cam, see my demo on vimeo here
www.vimeo.com/paulkellett

Top zoom handle problem,i've been lucky with this also,but anything below 10 is so slow i don't use it anyway.

Mic problems with Sennheiser K6/ME66,i've been lucky with this also.

Paul
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll second that. It's easy to lose sight of how great this camera is when you're hearing about the ongoing issues we all know about. While there are problems, what you get from it is stunning. I just got a call from a producer, and without knowing I had one he was already set on using an EX1.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Major Player

I think for all its faults it is a superb camera in practical use. I use it in non auto mode (the first thing I did was switch all 'features' off, in fact I have never bothered to look at them). I am really astounded by the picture quality.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey Mark,
Congrats on the purchase. I'll be making my purchase the end of this month. I know you'll enjoy the cam and would love to see footage as you learn. How many SXS cards did you end up getting or are going to get?
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Trustee

Bruce,if you ever need a hand on any shoots then let me know.
I'm only in Bristol,not that far from you

Cheers,Paul.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I've been an owner now for just 24 hours. My first impression is that I've got a lot to learn. However, straight out of the box, this thing shoots pictures like nothing I'd yet seen on my 50" plasma. I filled the card with shots of squirrels, robins and my cat Madeleine, in the late afternoon sun. I needed a tripod but it is a beautiful camera.

To answer your question Monday, at the moment I have nothing but what came with the camera. Actually, that's not true. I have a Kessler crane, Sennheiser wireless, DPA mics and a bunch of other gear, but I don't have any of the EX1 accessories. I will fill out the rebate offer for the second 8 gig card and wait for the hard drive, or for the cards to come down in price. I'm definitely going to need more batteries and more cards since this camera makes you want to hit the record button.

Monday, you're just up the road from me there in Baltimore. Once you get your EX1, should you dream up a project that needs another camera, let's keep in touch.
Mark Willey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Absolutely Mark we will be in touch once I get mines.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds