DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Mystery port on the EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/120992-mystery-port-ex1.html)

Dave Morrison May 5th, 2008 07:20 PM

Mystery port on the EX1

1 Attachment(s)
Does anybody know what this little cover is hiding? I just discovered it today but I'm afraid to take a screwdriver to it!

Eric Pascarelli May 5th, 2008 07:23 PM

Don't be afraid.

All I know is what I've read here - that it's a second USB port for doing firmware upgrades.

No confirmation from Sony, as far as I'm aware.

Dave Morrison May 5th, 2008 07:29 PM

I did searches for "port" and "cover" and something else, but I couldn't find anybody mentioning it before. I sure hope Sony has some good plans for this hole.....maybe a connector for that external HD? ;)

Gints Klimanis May 5th, 2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli (Post 872632)
Don't be afraid.

All I know is what I've read here - that it's a second USB port for doing firmware upgrades.

No confirmation from Sony, as far as I'm aware.

I don't know what it is either. For Firmware upgrades, I'd rather use the SxS card.

Sean Donnelly May 6th, 2008 04:47 AM

A while back I had posted about that in a thread. It's indeed another USB port which is supposedly for FW updates.

-Sean

Dave Morrison May 6th, 2008 07:38 AM

Thanks Sean. Guess I need to polish my search skills! ;)

Bruce Rawlings May 6th, 2008 10:44 AM

Silly question Dave. How did you upload pic? I have jpeg to show on another thread.

Dave Morrison May 6th, 2008 11:37 AM

Not silly. Click the "Post Reply" button (if you're attaching a photo to an ongoing thread) and you'll see the "Manage Attachments" button inside the "Attach Files" area. When you click the button, you'll get a dialog box with spaces and a bunch of "Browse..." buttons. If you have the photo ready and it is in one of the accepted file formats (.bmp, .jpg, doc., etc.), you can click on the "Browse" button to locate the file and select it. Then hit the "Upload" button. After that, upload your text reply so that it appears with the image.

George Kroonder May 6th, 2008 12:17 PM

set OT=On

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings (Post 872928)
How did you upload pic?

You need to have more posts, I believe it is ~100. Or maybe you can as a moderator for leniency.

George/

Greg Boston May 6th, 2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 872635)
.maybe a connector for that external HD

Naw, the new hard drive attaches via a pigtail that has mini usb at the drive and an SxS form factor at the camera end. IOW, it uses one of the card slots.

-gb-

Dave Morrison May 6th, 2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 873001)
Naw, the new hard drive attaches via a pigtail that has mini usb at the drive and an SxS form factor at the camera end. IOW, it uses one of the card slots.

-gb-

I noticed that on the EX3, they left a spring-loaded slot for the SxS card's cable to pass through so that they could close the access door. However, the EX1 doesn't have this indentation. I guess you'd have to shoot with the door partially closed.

Greg Boston May 6th, 2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 873020)
I noticed that on the EX3, they left a spring-loaded slot for the SxS card's cable to pass through so that they could close the access door. However, the EX1 doesn't have this indentation. I guess you'd have to shoot with the door partially closed.

That's correct. The door won't close all the way.

-gb-