EX1 start time.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 6th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #1
Trustee

EX1 start time..

I heard that the EX1 takes some spilt seconds to start recording after0 the cam is switched ON. Is that true? I dun own this but the FX1 I use does go into standby mode even when the cam is ON. Then it will take a while to start recording after I press the trigger. Does the EX have the same issue?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Major Player

No, it's lizzard-quick! Takes forever to turn it on though...
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Major Player

"on?"

If you mean to start recodring then it's almost instant. if not instant. The Z1/ FX1 took what seemed like forever sometimes.

It takes a few seconds to boot after powering on but not that bad.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Trustee

ah so what they meant was the time it takes to start recording when it is first turned on. Ooh thaz a little scary for weddings. May need to keep it on all the time then.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Sean,

When I shoot, I leave the camera on all day - except maybe for lunch time. The big batteries have plenty of life and it's nice to have the camera ready at all times.

Also, the camera will forget certain temporary settings (such as S&Q motion status) when you shut it off, so it's nice to know those are staying constant.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
ah so what they meant was the time it takes to start recording when it is first turned on. Ooh thaz a little scary for weddings. May need to keep it on all the time then.
Sean, I have sold my FX1 in Feb and own an EX1 now. FX1 is a great cam but it has also let me down a few occassions when I needed to immediately record from standby mode. With the EX1, booting up takes a few secs but from standby to record, it is immediate. I am also from SIN, we can meetup if you have the time.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Sean.
The cam takes a few seconds to switch on,but once it's on and ready/standby,when you hit the record button it records instantly.
Also there's a rumour that there will be a firmware upgrade that will include buffer record. Hope this rumour is true !!

Paul.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Trustee

Oooohh. sounds GOOD. I love this forum :) Thanks John, I would LOVE to meet u. Alr in the process of selling my FX1 now. I can't stand it no more with so much amazing stuff on the web from the EX1!
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Also, considering that the EX will drain your battery if left in, there is no down side to leaving the camera on all day.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Haensler View Post
Also, considering that the EX will drain your battery if left in, there is no down side to leaving the camera on all day.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Battery aside, I wouldn't do it because (unlike tape cameras') this camera's hours meter is not split into "operation", "thread" etc but instead shows the total time of the camera powered on (not necessarily working). Important from the re-sale value point of view!

Also, the camera generates quite a lot of heat (there even is a fan inside becuase of that) - why would you want it to be subject to it if not working?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; May 9th, 2008 at 09:38 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Trustee

woah woah.. u mean the hr meter is not in terms of ops? Thaz strange! Looks like I still have to turn it off when I get the chance.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #12
Major Player

The major concern about operating hours is in terms of head and transport wear. There aren't any heads or transport in the EX1. Perhaps life of the CMOS sensor and LCD, but you can close the iris. Generally electronic gear is left on all the time (I've heard various arguments that this is a "good thing" to do). And I imagine that no-one was worried about leaving their FX1/Z1U on all day, so long as it wasn't running tape.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds