Notebook Suggestions at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bridgenorth
Posts: 116
Notebook Suggestions

What notebooks are you guys using with your EX1s? We are looking at the Sony TZ series for size/weight and the ExpressCard slot but wonder if the 4200rpm 100GB drive might be too slow.

The 250GB/5400rpm option isn't available in Canada.

We're also considering the ShotPut Express software from Imagine Products.
Steve Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 462
Take a look at the Dell Vostro series. Good price. Fast and available with 7200 rpm drives if you want to. I own a Vostro 1400 and it transfers an 8 GB-card in 3-4 minutes. It also manages playback of full 1080p-files in Clip browser.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 337
I use the Dell M1330. Small light and portable and also plays back 1080p. At 1.9KG it is easy to carry. Express card transfers are also very quick.
__________________
Graeme
Graeme Fullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gibbons View Post
What notebooks are you guys using with your EX1s? We are looking at the Sony TZ series for size/weight and the ExpressCard slot but wonder if the 4200rpm 100GB drive might be too slow.

The 250GB/5400rpm option isn't available in Canada.

We're also considering the ShotPut Express software from Imagine Products.
When I finally purchase the camera this is the notebook I plan on getting : http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665291455

A bit pricey but has all the bells and whistles (I believe the 2 - 200 GB 5400 rpm drives in Raid 0 config should handle editing ok - a fellow from another forum uses the European version of this and works well). I like the idea of the blu-ray burner for archiving on the road.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
Bob Grant put me on to Sager and I love it. Best I've ever had. And they quad cores now.
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #6
New Boot
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 24
I'm not sure what NLE software you guys are using, but I would go Apple just for the capability of using FCP. It is by far my favorite NLE, and second only to top notch avid system in terms of power and function.

It is so intuitive that a switch over from an adobe or vegas editing suite will take you at most a day, and to be honest, the apple OS is just lightyears better than anything microsoft is pushing out of its bowles nowadays.

That isn't to say that there won't be issues in terms of cost, however the peice of mind someone gains in working off of an mac os x operating system is priceless.

However, that is just my two-cents.
Alex Gutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
When I finally purchase the camera this is the notebook I plan on getting : http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665291455

A bit pricey but has all the bells and whistles (I believe the 2 - 200 GB 5400 rpm drives in Raid 0 config should handle editing ok - a fellow from another forum uses the European version of this and works well). I like the idea of the blu-ray burner for archiving on the road.
I am using this NB as well. I swop the 2 X 5400 RPM to a 7200 RPM HDD
Very fast NB and transfer a full 16GB card in about 5 to 6 mins.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poland
Posts: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woo View Post
I am using this NB as well. I swop the 2 X 5400 RPM to a 7200 RPM HDD
Very fast NB and transfer a full 16GB card in about 5 to 6 mins.
I also have a top Vaio model, and the only thing I am not satisfied with is that its two 250 GB drives (configured into RAID 0) are only 4200 RPM (what were Sony thinking ?!!). Am also thinking of swapping them with faster ones; why did you only use one 7200 RPM disk, John - space or power considerations?
__________________
Sony PXW-FS7 | DaVinci Resolve Studio; Magix Vegas Pro; i7-5960X CPU; 64 GB RAM; 2x GTX 1080 8GB GPU; Decklink 4K Extreme 12G; 4x 3TB WD Black in RAID 0; 1TB M.2 NVMe cache drive
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I also have a top Vaio model, and the only thing I am not satisfied with is that its two 250 GB drives (configured into RAID 0) are only 4200 RPM (what were Sony thinking ?!!). Am also thinking of swapping them with faster ones; why did you only use one 7200 RPM disk, John - space or power considerations?
oops, sorry i meant 2 x 7200RPM HDD. No point using different RPM drive, it will only slow down the faster one.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I also have a top Vaio model, and the only thing I am not satisfied with is that its two 250 GB drives (configured into RAID 0) are only 4200 RPM (what were Sony thinking ?!!). Am also thinking of swapping them with faster ones; why did you only use one 7200 RPM disk, John - space or power considerations?
Hi Piotr, I see that you have vegas on Vista x64, did you remove the 32 bits version that came with the Notebook and do a new install of Vista 64 bits? I wanted to do that to overcome the 3GB limit. Do you find vegas runs faster on Vista x64? I know vegas 64bit will only be avail later this year
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poland
Posts: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woo View Post
Hi Piotr, I see that you have vegas on Vista x64, did you remove the 32 bits version that came with the Notebook and do a new install of Vista 64 bits? I wanted to do that to overcome the 3GB limit. Do you find vegas runs faster on Vista x64? I know vegas 64bit will only be avail later this year
John,

The specs in my sig are those of my main editing PC (dual-booter), not the laptop. Vegas does not run considerably faster under Vista x64 than XP x86 (well, perhaps rendering can use more CPU resources in certain scenarios - but the real bottlenck, i.e. timeline playback dropping frames, is still there). However, the 64bit Vegas version is coming!

On the Vaio, I still have the 32bit Vista.
__________________
Sony PXW-FS7 | DaVinci Resolve Studio; Magix Vegas Pro; i7-5960X CPU; 64 GB RAM; 2x GTX 1080 8GB GPU; Decklink 4K Extreme 12G; 4x 3TB WD Black in RAID 0; 1TB M.2 NVMe cache drive
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chehalis, WA
Posts: 513
I'm using a new MacBook Pro 17" and I really like it.

Right now, all my editing is done in Windows on the MacBook using Bootcamp, but I just bought the Adobe Production Premium for Mac and will see how that goes.

Not sure I want to try FCP yet.

Can FCP edit the raw EX1 files like Premiere?
__________________
Reel Inspirations - www.reelinspirations.com
Commercials, Dramas, Image Pieces, Documentaries, Motion Graphics
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woo View Post
I am using this NB as well. I swop the 2 X 5400 RPM to a 7200 RPM HDD
Very fast NB and transfer a full 16GB card in about 5 to 6 mins.
John - thanks for clueing me in - I just checked on the Sony website and you can customize the base model Vaio to better specs than on my previous post including 2 - 200 GB hard drives at 7200 rpm and a cheaper price - even the processor is a bit faster (2.6).
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #14
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singapore
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
John - thanks for clueing me in - I just checked on the Sony website and you can customize the base model Vaio to better specs than on my previous post including 2 - 200 GB hard drives at 7200 rpm and a cheaper price - even the processor is a bit faster (2.6).
I opt for the 2.5Ghz processor and 7200RPM drive. With Riad 0 I think this is 1 of the fastest NB you can find now. I wanted Macbook Pro initially but the lack of blu-ray burner has led me to choose Vaio instead
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #15
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,195
I also work on a Macbook Pro, the 15" of the previous generation. At this moment seems to work like a charm. Just import files in FCP via the Sony Browser and edit right away.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network