Climbing with the EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Daniel, Thanks. What CINE did you use? I ask as without knowing that it is not possible to asses the effect of your 95% zebra. IE as cine4 is much "brighter" than cine1 to use zebra=x on both does not give the same histographic high.

With the bright skies of Yosemite and that great flat unsaturated look I bet you used cine1 with the cinema matrix (not Hi-Sat). Am I right?
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Willey View Post
I'm planning to shoot a big, multi-pitch rock climb in the California Sierras this summer and wondering if anyone out here has any suggestions.
Mark when will you be there? I'm planning a couple of shooting trips to Yosemite quite soon and as I am planning on getting a telephoto converter I thought I might offer to take some shots for you from the ground while you were on the wall. Always good to see a shot of the climber with the camera for reality. If interested you can email me at michael$$@$lenses35%.com% $ signs removed

Mike
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stevens View Post
Daniel, Thanks. What CINE did you use? I ask as without knowing that it is not possible to asses the effect of your 95% zebra. IE as cine4 is much "brighter" than cine1 to use zebra=x on both does not give the same histographic high.

With the bright skies of Yosemite and that great flat unsaturated look I bet you used cine1 with the cinema matrix (not Hi-Sat). Am I right?
Mike,

My Color Matrix was on and set to standard. The Gamma was set on Standard 3. No Cine Gamma was used.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #19
Regular Crew

high altitude use of EX1

I am shooting a documentary in the himalayas later this year and would appreciate any advice on picture profiles and use of filters for high altitude and snow/ice conditions. At present I have a 486 and a polarizing filter and will take a ND and possibly a graduated density filter
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
Mike,

My Color Matrix was on and set to standard. The Gamma was set on Standard 3. No Cine Gamma was used.

Daniel Weber
This is very interesting. I must experiment with this. Thanks.
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Donaldson View Post
I am shooting a documentary in the himalayas later this year and would appreciate any advice on picture profiles and use of filters for high altitude and snow/ice conditions. At present I have a 486 and a polarizing filter and will take a ND and possibly a graduated density filter
Peter that sounds like a good set to start with. I would think that would really need the extra ND shooting in snow and ice. I have found that the camera will run around f8, -3db, no shutter when shooting outdoors in bright sun. The extra ND along with a Polarizer will allow you to shoot around f4 or so. Will you be using a Mattebox? If so which one?

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I have the Cavision Matte Box (because it is cheap not good) with ND 1.2, ND graduated and polarizer for my bright California snow and sky scenes and this setup works well. If it is really bright keep to Cine1 but do maximise you dynamic range by exposing to the limit and dropping the bottom with the master black. Shadows can be opened or closed with the the black gamma.

Mike
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Himalayan shoot

Thanks for the tips, I have not yet made a decision on a matte box as weight is a major issue.
I'll experiment with the suggestions on snow during the Australian winter
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #24
Trustee

Peter
I have shot 2 docs in the Himalaya, highest @ near 22,000'. I think your filter selection is fine. At altitude there is more uv light, but I'm not sure if it is overall really "brighter" than a clear sunny day on the desert, or beach. The main challenge is the same as for any other bright hi contrast setting. Common example: shooting people on a glacier in full sunlight- do you underexpose the people, blow out the glacier, or try for something in between? The terrific dynamic range of the EX1, particularly with Cine 1 and black stretch should really help you in these situations. I would love to be back up there with this camera.
A graduated ND could also be worth bringing.
Good luck!!
Robert Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds