Firmware update wishlist ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #16
Major Player

A little FYI on the firmware update

I went to the HD EXPO here in Chicago last week. I was in the "XDCAM EX" workshop where sony was talking about the features of the EX-1 as well as the EX-3 and some of the new upcoming accesories. (BTW, I was able to get my hands on the EX-3 which was awesome)

They said something interesting that I was not aware of. As far as the firmware update to make the HD-SDI do 24p, there will be a charge for that. Basically, they said that they will be charging for addign new features to the camera.

That is something that I can confirm was said at that workshop. But who knows, Sony likes to make up stuff as they go along. Just like how they said the ex-3 was going to be like 13k and then now we are finding out that it is $8,300.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #17
Major Player

Dennis, did Sony give a mention on how end users will update the firmware on existing camera's???

This is a very important factor because the EX technology is still evolving rapidly. So it follows that firmware updates ought to be also be delivered in a timely and cost effective way to end users just like the rest of intelligent devices in this 21st century?
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #18
Major Player

Yes, good question. That was one of the first questions I asked and I was surprised to hear that we all have to send our cameras back to sony service to make the update!

Logistically does not even make sense.
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #19
Inner Circle

So I guess Sony's charging so they can add 500 temp employees with a few days training to handle the 20,000 cameras coming back to them the same week.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
So I guess Sony's charging so they can add 500 temp employees with a few days training to handle the 20,000 cameras coming back to them the same week.
20,000 cameras will come in, 12,617 will come out damaged or updated wrong in soem shape or form.
Old June 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #21
Major Player

Trust me, I'll be one of those 12,617.....I know from experience.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I'd like to see Sony update the video on the composite output, which is what I use for monitoring in the field. Currently, the camera input flipped horizontally but the menu overlay is not. The component output is correct, but I don't use that as much. I don't think I should be charged for that feature fix.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #23
Major Player

Right now yes if you want a Firmware update you would have to send in the camera...Now once the EX3 is released it seems shortly there after they will be releasing it to the publiuc so you can update your own camera...Now this was told to me a while back from a Sony rep, Also Phillip confirmed that this was the case as well. There is another thread around that discussed this as well. Sony would upset a lot of customers if we all have to send our cameras back for an update...They will also be losing customers if they start charging for updates which fix things that should have been there in the first place! I am just standing by awaiting (shooting hapily with my EX1 for now) the EX3 release and a firmware update or at the very least an official announcement. I am somewhat dissapointed by how secretive SOny is about this type of stuff. Especially the EX3.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #24
Major Player

already 20,000?

craig,

has sony sold that many?

the latest serial numbers have only reached 6000 or so.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Last night, Juan Martinez from Sony only mentioned "thousands" so I suspect not.

I think the series serial numbers are different between USA and Europe but us in the "States" would be swarming San Jose, CA. I heard recently that Teaneck, NJ MIGHT be handling this too. That would be great for those of us in the north east USA who'd find a "drive" to Teaneck manageable. I can't afford the downtime, especially when I expect Sony's turnaround time won't be great given the volume.

BTW, Juan Martinez actually mentioned that someone named "Bloom" has excellent stuff on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
craig,

has sony sold that many?

the latest serial numbers have only reached 6000 or so.
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #26
Major Player

that's Phil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Last night, Juan Martinez from Sony only mentioned "thousands" so I suspect not.

I think the series serial numbers are different between USA and Europe but us in the "States" would be swarming San Jose, CA. I heard recently that Teaneck, NJ MIGHT be handling this too. That would be great for those of us in the north east USA who'd find a "drive" to Teaneck manageable. I can't afford the downtime, especially when I expect Sony's turnaround time won't be great given the volume.

BTW, Juan Martinez actually mentioned that someone named "Bloom" has excellent stuff on line.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Yup. I thought it was neat that Juan Martinez mentioned him (last name only). It seems Sony has taken note of Phil's work but you'd think they'd know his full name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
that's Phil!
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM   #28
New Boot

Wishlist, All Camera Shooting functions in ONE menu.

PUT ALL Camera SHOOTING Functions in the CAMERA menu! Shutter angle, speed, format, Interval, Frame Rec. SlowMo ("S&Q" in Sony-ese) etc. should all be together.

ALSO, put the speed and format change menus in the "Direct Menu" that is activated by the roller "Set/Sel" switch.

REMOTE should be left in the ON position after power down. Mentioned earlier, but here it is again...

FW image flip, but I'd like it to be flipped on the recorded image too, so we don't have to do a flip in post. I saw the EX3 at Cinegear Expo and it has a flip switch on the back of the LCD, so I'm not holding my breath for any changes to my EX1.

Downloadable FW upgrades, please! Shipping and time lost is a big negative.

Last edited by John Fante; June 21st, 2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: clarity
John Fante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:46 PM   #29
Trustee

You should be able to access a page that shows all the PP settings that are currently active.
That would be really helpful as a double check against accidents and to make it easier to match cameras.
Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 03:29 PM   #30
Trustee

Peaking that works in Expanded Focus mode
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds