EX1 Firmware versions - what they change? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 12th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #31
Regular Crew

I've made some more tests for IR sensitivity. Alas my earlier optimism was unfounded. This time I simply used the light from my PAG light to illuminate the subject and there were signs of IR response. Placing the PAG Dichroic filter in front of the lamp completely cured the problem as to be expected. Surprisingly, the IR response using the PAG was greater than that using the normal domestic incandescent lamps.
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #32
Inner Circle

to make sure everybody understand how IR contamination works, so you can test.
IR contamination is always here, but conditions where you can see it are particular.
1) you must shot fabrics that are reflecting a lot of IR (not necessarily black, but it is where the color shift is the most noticeable)
black Nylon and other synthetic fabrics are well known for displaying this problem.
Others colors can give some problem (not only colorshift but fuzziness) like green plants.

2) The ratio between regular light and IR must be low, or the IR contamination will be hidden. So at noon on full sunny day on the beach where IR and light is at maximum, you would not see any problem.
The same, later in the day (6 or 7pm) and it would be obvious, or the same day , same hour when cloudy.
Because when light level is high, the iris is closing, cutting on light AND IR.
when the light level goes down, the iris is opening more to get more light AND more IR. So the ratio between light and IR is becoming bad.
At worse, since the light level sensor is not driven by IR, you could have some location (indoor events like concert) with low light but lot of IR, where the iris is full open.

We got the same problem with cheap sunglasses.
They just got dark glasses (easy to make) with no filtering capabilities (cutting UV and IR). So if you wear it on the beach or mountain, your eyes feels good better the decreased light level (your iris open more)
But at the same time you eyes get burned, because a lot of UV and IR are entering your eyes (but your eyes cannot feel this until it is too late).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #33
Tourist

Firmware 1.05

Hi! First post here. And first of all I must thank you. It was a really helpfull for me to read your experiences.
So this is my story. I live in Argentina. I bought an EX1 from the oficial Sony Rep here. (Never Owned a camera before) It came with Fw1.03 version. and whith the backfocus problem. fortunately no Vignetting or zoom issues.
So I went to talk with their tech people... Their were not aware that this problem existed. and they weren aware of the firmware update (this happened like a month and a half ago) I showed them the problem. Few days later I talked with one of them and he told me Sony had confirmed the problem and was sending them th update (I had told them I had red that here) and that their would first test it with the cameras they had there and then I could give em mine to correct. So I did...
Now I have it back and its corrected!!
when i went there to pick it up I talked with one of the guys that had put the update. and he gave me a sheet with the following:

Release of PMW-EX1 V1.05

Reaso/Purpose
Function improvment and bug fixes

Function added:
1) Improved operability of jog Dial
When operating the Jog dial, the cursor moves in the unintended direction on the menu.
The operability of Jog dial has been improved
2) Countermeasure against the flange-back shift when turning on the ND filter.
The accuracy of flange-back when turning on the ND has been enhanced.
3) Change of i.LINK Enable menu selection
To save the power, the i.LINK Enable can be salected in the HQ mode so that the HD-SDI can be turned off
When set to i.LINK in the HQ mode, the i. LINK output is not output while the SDI output is turned off.

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere. I didn't found it.
Diego Marcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #34
Trustee

[QUOTE= Few days later I talked with one of them and he told me Sony had confirmed the problem and was sending them th update

Sony have sent them the update ?
I presume you mean Sony have sent them the latest firmware, V1.05.
If so how did sony send it ? V Was it via the internet ?
If so why can't we,the camera owners, have it ?
Can you find out ? Please !!

Paul.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; May 13th, 2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #35
New Boot

Back from SOny

Just got my camera back from SOny. Took two weeks.
The back focus looks good now. I did not test IR or Red issues prior to sending so I can not atest to what all got changed.

So now I am on 1.05 and for the moment happy.

Ed
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #36
Major Player

Got mine back today, too. After they broke my Ch. 1 audio while they were replacing the back plate for the rubbing paint issue, they did the following:

1. fixed my broken audio
2. replaced my lens
3. replaced my ND filter assembly
4. upgraded/fixed the parts necessary for battery drainage issue
5. updated my firmware to 1.05

.....apart from that, there was nothing wrong. ;-)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #37
Major Player

Battery Drainage Fix

Hmm, I wonder if I could send mine in for the battery drainage issue.

Haven't had time to test for backfocus isues.

How long did that take Dave?
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
How long did that take Dave?
Less than a week, but that was after I lit some fires under some butts after they broke my camera the last time it was there for service.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds