All timelapse video with motion pans (not done in post) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 12th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

All timelapse video with motion pans (not done in post)

Timelapse video shot on an EX1 and also a Milapse panning rig (google it, its relatively cheap and it works, though you have to source your own mount. Its a motorized telescope tripod head.) If you think the video looks cool on the site, check out the HD Podcast I put up today of it through iTunes (search "washingtonpost.com HD" in the iTunes store). Its a 235mb download, but it actually does the video some justice compared to the flash compressed version and you can just leave it running in the background until it finishes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050902335.html

Last edited by Akira Hakuta; May 12th, 2008 at 09:15 PM.
Akira Hakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice work. Phillip Bloom and I have been using what sounds like a simular motorized telescope head. Ours is called KD Motor Mount made by MIzar Optics Japan. How many speeds can yours move at? Would like to see photos if you can.
Thanks, Alex
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mine is controlled by a telescope controller that you hook up to the tripod head. As I understand it, there are an infinite number of speeds that can be dialed into it if you understand the menu system, but there are also several easy to access speeds that I have found to be fine for my purposes so far. Might be able to get photos up later in the week.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Akira. Photos would be great. Also, how much is it?
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Major Player

I can find lots of stuff made with the milapse but not the unit itself. Can you post a link?
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hmmm. These guys used to sell it but apparently...they sold out. I bought it a few months ago and the guy said they were running out, but I was under the impression from what he said that they would be selling another kit, albeit at a slightly higher price. It would be worth sending these guys an email to see if they have a replacement rig planned.

EDIT: I paid $120 for it, but then you have to buy a mounting system (I got a Manfrotto quick release plate, cost about $40 I think) and I went to a local metal shop to get the basic shape of the mounting plate fabricated out of aluminum, and I did the other half of the fabrication myself with a drill and machine screws. All in all it cost me about $230.

http://shop.telescope-warehouse.com/...?categoryId=11
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Great job Akira, and I don't mind saying that I'm getting a wee bit burnt on timelapse in general but I loved your piece. The music worked perfect with your shots and edit and the pans added just enough of "something different" to make it worth watching several times over. Nicely done.

- Ray
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Raymond, I'm curious to know, did you watch the web version or the HD podcast?
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey Alexander,

Can you please tell me how many speeds can you dial on the Mizar motor pan/ tilt head? I see that the online ad says: 2 speed drive. High (1 degree per sec. and low (0.2degrees per sec.)

Does this give you some decent slower/ faster options for head movement. I know that you have mentioned that camera frame rates will affect the quality/ look of the capture but does the head deliver a good working range?

I have become "aware" of the Meade 200 Head with the 494 controler and am wondering which one gives better.... performance?

Anyone know?

Last edited by Jonathan Bland; May 13th, 2008 at 09:54 PM.
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds