DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   best mic for Sennheiser RFs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/121554-best-mic-sennheiser-rfs.html)

Malcolm Hamilton May 13th, 2008 03:17 PM

best mic for Sennheiser RFs?

Hi there,
I'm getting different opinions re the best mic to use with the Sennheiser EW112-G2s I just ordered. The guy at the store says to buy Sanken COS-11,
a guy at the CBC, where I used to work, says to get Trams.
But neither the guy at the store nor the guy at CBC has used an EX-1.
Would any of you EX-1 users (and audiophiles) mind giving me your opionions?
thanks,
Malcolm

Doug Okamoto May 13th, 2008 03:35 PM

Doesn't this already come with the VT500 lav? Of course I think the COS 11 is the best lav mic around but I think you'll have determine that based on who you put the mic on.

Malcolm Hamilton May 13th, 2008 03:39 PM

thank you, Doug. I take that as a pretty positive vote for the COS-11. I'll wait to see if I hear from any Tram users before finalizing my order. (I don't know what you mean about the VT500)
Cheers, Malcolm

Christopher Barry May 13th, 2008 06:04 PM

I have a bunch of G2 100 sets. I was going to buy COS-11's for each, then decided on the Sen MKE2 Gold (Mfr# MKE2-EW GOLD). They are already fitted with a mini jack and draw the power required from the Sen transmitter. Suits my intended use.

Malcolm Hamilton May 13th, 2008 06:30 PM

Christopher - - don't the COS-11s also draw power from the transmitter?
Malcolm

Doug Okamoto May 13th, 2008 07:49 PM

They either go with phantom or need 48v power depending on the model you get.

Quote:

I don't know what you mean about the VT500
The VT500 is a lav mic that is supposed to be part of that Sennheiser EW112-G2 package.

Christopher Barry May 13th, 2008 07:53 PM

Malcolm, you could be right. I am not sure how the wiring of the COS-11 would be done to allow this.

I was under the impression that you may have to use the large XLR component, that contains a AA battery, then convert XLR to mini jack for input to the Sen transmitter? If so, it seemed too bulky for my intended use.
http://www.sanken-mic.com/upload/prd/img/1005900.jpg

These are my assumptions, so perhaps someone with COS-11 experience can confirm the wiring and power configuration for a COS-11 to G2 100 transmitter. MKE2-Gold, plug and play.

Doug Okamoto May 13th, 2008 08:45 PM

With the COS 11's you can get the model with a stripped end basically if you have the electrical know-how (or in my case know someone who is smart) you can 'convert' the cable to the 3.5mm plug. They come with either 1.6 meter or 3 meter cabling. If I recall correctly it really wasn't very difficult but I didn't do it.

With the Sennheiser G2 series you won't need battery power, phantom will come from the transmitter.

If putting the 3.5mm plug on is daunting, then I would recommend the Sennheiser MKE2 Gold lavs that Christopher Barry is using.

Dave Morrison May 13th, 2008 09:19 PM

I bought two used MKE2's off of eBay and soldered them myself. I'd recommend getting the locking 1/8" TRS plugs if you go this route. Also, the G2 transmitters do NOT provide 48v phantom power. I believe it is provided in some of the higher level Senn wireless systems.

Doug Okamoto May 14th, 2008 01:59 AM

Ack! You're correct Dave the G2 line doesn't provide 48v except for the plug on transmitter for handheld mics.

My only excuse I can give is old age! I haven't done production work for 2 years now, only post production. Sorry about the wrong information!

Malcolm Hamilton May 14th, 2008 06:11 AM

Guys I think I'm going to be o.k.. Wouldn't dare wire anything myself - - the audio place (Trew) where I'm getting this gear is going to replace the lav mics that the Sennheiser RFs come with, with the COS-11s. They'll do the wiring, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have recommended this if they didn't think it would work out well.
I'm surprised no one's commented on the Tram TR50... I thought it was in widespread use. Anyone?
Malcolm