best mic for Sennheiser RFs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 13th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Major Player

best mic for Sennheiser RFs?

Hi there,
I'm getting different opinions re the best mic to use with the Sennheiser EW112-G2s I just ordered. The guy at the store says to buy Sanken COS-11,
a guy at the CBC, where I used to work, says to get Trams.
But neither the guy at the store nor the guy at CBC has used an EX-1.
Would any of you EX-1 users (and audiophiles) mind giving me your opionions?
thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Doesn't this already come with the VT500 lav? Of course I think the COS 11 is the best lav mic around but I think you'll have determine that based on who you put the mic on.
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Major Player

thank you, Doug. I take that as a pretty positive vote for the COS-11. I'll wait to see if I hear from any Tram users before finalizing my order. (I don't know what you mean about the VT500)
Cheers, Malcolm
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a bunch of G2 100 sets. I was going to buy COS-11's for each, then decided on the Sen MKE2 Gold (Mfr# MKE2-EW GOLD). They are already fitted with a mini jack and draw the power required from the Sen transmitter. Suits my intended use.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Christopher - - don't the COS-11s also draw power from the transmitter?
Malcolm
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

They either go with phantom or need 48v power depending on the model you get.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean about the VT500
The VT500 is a lav mic that is supposed to be part of that Sennheiser EW112-G2 package.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Malcolm, you could be right. I am not sure how the wiring of the COS-11 would be done to allow this.

I was under the impression that you may have to use the large XLR component, that contains a AA battery, then convert XLR to mini jack for input to the Sen transmitter? If so, it seemed too bulky for my intended use.
http://www.sanken-mic.com/upload/prd/img/1005900.jpg

These are my assumptions, so perhaps someone with COS-11 experience can confirm the wiring and power configuration for a COS-11 to G2 100 transmitter. MKE2-Gold, plug and play.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

With the COS 11's you can get the model with a stripped end basically if you have the electrical know-how (or in my case know someone who is smart) you can 'convert' the cable to the 3.5mm plug. They come with either 1.6 meter or 3 meter cabling. If I recall correctly it really wasn't very difficult but I didn't do it.

With the Sennheiser G2 series you won't need battery power, phantom will come from the transmitter.

If putting the 3.5mm plug on is daunting, then I would recommend the Sennheiser MKE2 Gold lavs that Christopher Barry is using.
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Major Player

I bought two used MKE2's off of eBay and soldered them myself. I'd recommend getting the locking 1/8" TRS plugs if you go this route. Also, the G2 transmitters do NOT provide 48v phantom power. I believe it is provided in some of the higher level Senn wireless systems.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Ack! You're correct Dave the G2 line doesn't provide 48v except for the plug on transmitter for handheld mics.

My only excuse I can give is old age! I haven't done production work for 2 years now, only post production. Sorry about the wrong information!

Last edited by Doug Okamoto; May 14th, 2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #11
Major Player

Guys I think I'm going to be o.k.. Wouldn't dare wire anything myself - - the audio place (Trew) where I'm getting this gear is going to replace the lav mics that the Sennheiser RFs come with, with the COS-11s. They'll do the wiring, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have recommended this if they didn't think it would work out well.
I'm surprised no one's commented on the Tram TR50... I thought it was in widespread use. Anyone?
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds