copying 16 gig cards to DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

copying 16 gig cards to DVD

I'd appreciate it if someone could explain how you use the clip browser to copy xdcam ex files from a 16gb card to multiple dual-layer DVDs. I've apparently missed something obvious.

Thanks in advance.
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

In Clip Browser use the split function (icon with cd like disc pic) to split the card into 8GB. It'll create two 8GB folders. Unfortunately they may actually be up to 8GB. 8GB DL-DVD holds 7.95GB so the discs themselves are spanned when I burn them. UGH!

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=121428

Apparently Alistar and I are the only ones who've noticed this.

I guess "somebody" is not archiving 16GB cards to 8GB DL-DVD.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. I just tried it and I see what you mean. I don't have Toast but I'm beginning to see that I'll need to get it.

I suppose you could split the card into 4gb folders and burn to standard dvds without spanning.

Last edited by John Godwin; May 14th, 2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: baaaad spelling
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm going to try the 4GB route myself

The 4 GB burns faster and are cheaper. I've tried the 8GB dual and have experienced the problems spoken about as well. Also, LaCie has a 500GB external drive that retails afor about $110. That works out cheaper than duals and is lots quicker.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Non DL DVD

If on a Mac you can always create a burn folder and drag the clips into the burn folder to create the cheaper 4.7 gb DVD. It takes some time but if you keep well away from filling to 4.7 it works fine.

I just estimate how many burn folders I'll need, create them as Job1, Job2,etc. and drag the clips from the capture scratch folder right in.

Burn away.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've been copying the entire BPAV folder to various external hard drives, which I have a number of, but I'm looking for something hopefully less volatile, and more easily shipped or shared. That's why the DVDs are an interesting alternative.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Never drag MP4 clips. That's a recipe for DISASTER. Use Clip Browser to split.

Drag clips and you end up with orphaned MP4 files that won't import into Final Cut Pro.

Just as DL-DVD 8.5GB actually hold 7.95GB, DVD 4.7GB actually hold about 4.3GB. Fortunately Clip Browser makes 4GB BPAV folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
If on a Mac you can always create a burn folder and drag the clips into the burn folder to create the cheaper 4.7 gb DVD. It takes some time but if you keep well away from filling to 4.7 it works fine.

I just estimate how many burn folders I'll need, create them as Job1, Job2,etc. and drag the clips from the capture scratch folder right in.

Burn away.
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Manually set split at 7.9GB in Clip Browser.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....43&postcount=3
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Well, that was simply brilliant, or simple AND brilliant. Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It would have been easier if the manual was properly written.

First you must find the manual called 3280782111.pdf (at least on my system it is). Of course that name makes it clear what this document is!

Then if you go to Page 44 (for Mac or Page 22 Windows) under Splitting Folders

- 3 Select the size of the split folders from the drop-list

That's it. NO INDICATION at all that you can type in this field manually. I thought it was important to explain why this simple feature was so hard to discover.

So just a reminder for this issue. Change the 8GB to 7.9GB manually and it'll split it so you can fit on DL DVD.
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I tried and made a copy of about 45 minutes worth of card video - I didn't noticed the exact number of gigs, but a good bit over 8. The dual-layer dvds worked fine, but it did take quite a while, between burning and verifying. It's good to have this as an option.
John Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds