Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Very nice design by itself, but I am afraid it will load/bend the flimsy holder even more!
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Sounds scary. Anyone had a broken mic holder with the ME66 so far?
Yup! Broke almost immediately - the bag brushing agains the mE66 in a rug was enough to do it :(
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #48
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Cho View Post
as requested, here is a pic of the ktek kssm with the CANON adapter on the ex1. my at4073a is out on assignment at the moment, so i put the at4053a on the camera to illustrate the hold.

http://www.downwiththefuture.com/pictures/ex1_ktek.jpg

i completely spaced out and forgot i had the canon adapter on the shock mount (from my last camera), not the sony adapter. i have both adapters and just tried the sony, and the canon actually works out much better. there is a little too much play with the smaller diameter sony adapter, even with the mount clamped down completely tight. the larger diameter canon adapter clamps down solid with very little play. i updated my previous post to avoid any confusion.

canon adapter:
http://www.mklemme.com/pole/kbwc.html
Thanks Henry!

cheers,
-sutton
Sutton Yamanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #49
Major Player

Mic Mount ASAP

http://www.rycote.com/products/softi...nt/multimount/

Anyone know it........ anyone love/ hate it?

please! the clock ticks.........
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #50
Major Player

Bump bump!
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #51
Major Player

Another vote for the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ock_Mount.html

Audio Technica AT8415

I have had mine for five years and it still works like it did the day I bought it.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #52
New Boot

Hi there - Sorry for the late post - Sony's own CAC-12 mic mount fits onto the EX fine - you have to elongate the screw holes slightly and use longer screws but you'll end up with a secure fully adjustable swivel mount. These mounts were originally used on the BVW & DXC series BetaSP cameras but I've fitted them to PD170's and V1P's since them. I think the Sony part No. is 3-750-734-11.
I broke the original mic mount on my second day shooting, bit rough on the gear I guess...

Cheers Mal
Attached Thumbnails
Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-sony-cac-12_1.jpg   Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-sony-cac-12_2.jpg  

Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-sony-cac-12_3.jpg   Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-sony-cac-12_4.jpg  

Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-sony-cac-12_5.jpg  
Mal Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:26 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Williams View Post
you have to elongate the screw holes slightly
So where exactly did you obtain your degree in metalworking Mal?

Seriously, thanks for that. It's reassured me that there's life after my mic mount (inevitably?) breaks off. I've been dreading it since I first read about the mount being so flimsy.

Another of Sony's economies - but I don't mind, they brought us unbelievable quality images at a really affordable price. I can live with a few bits and pieces falling off as long as I can get great pictures.
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
I just got a Sanken CS-1. It needs the K-Tek K-CAM-SSM mount as it is a very short shotgun. I'll use the same plate to hold a cold shoe and mount the K-Tek mount into that.
Do you have any images of the finished product?
John Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #55
Major Player

Does anyone know if the EX3's mic mount was designed any differently? I don't think this was covered in any of the reviews I've watched. I'm guessing it's the same, but since my EX3 is on it's way, I'm kinda hoping it was improved upon.
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #56
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gilmore View Post
Do you have any images of the finished product?
Sure thing, hopefully the pictures explain it all.

The same bracket and cold shoe could also be used to hold the Rode SM3 shock mount if you wanted something a bit cheaper than the K-Tek. The Rode mount is too long for the CS-1 though. To hold my simple bracket onto the audio pod I used M2.5 x 10mm screws, the screws Sony used are barely long enough for the existing mount. They're a little tough to get out as they're secured with Locktite or similar goo.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-cold-shoe-bracket.jpg   Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-complete-mount-mic-1.jpg  

Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #57
New Boot

Bob - You've got the Best solution so far!

Hi Bob,

Your solution to the Ex1's impractical mic holder is genius and exactly the way I wish Sony made their holders to begin with! I wish you sold the part ready made, but since that isn't the case, I would love some extra information on how to make that part. Where did you get the shoe adapter you attached to the metal plate? Any chance you'd be willing to make an extra part like the one you have and sell it to me (and other DVI members)? This is the only solution I want for my EX1 because, as you say, it makes it easy to put the microphone on and off, plus it keeps the top of the camera flush, making it easier to store it in a tight space.

Thanks for your help!
Pierre Louis Beranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #58
Trustee

Thanks for the kind words Peirre,
the cold shoe I bought from here:
http://www.dm-accessories.com/shop/i...d22fe1d7a5ec3a
I've already made a couple of units for local people. I think though that Jeff Demaagd would be in a better position than myself to fabricate these and sell them as he already has an online store and he's in the USA. I'll drop him an email.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Hi Bob --

I'm curious how you ended up getting the screws out. I had a cold shoe mount made similar to yours but can't budge the existing screws. I'm hesitant to use a solvent for fear of doing damage.
Michael Rehfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #60
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rehfield View Post
Hi Bob --

I'm curious how you ended up getting the screws out. I had a cold shoe mount made similar to yours but can't budge the existing screws. I'm hesitant to use a solvent for fear of doing damage.
Make certain you have a good screwdriver, not some old thing that's got the blades burred or worn down. Make certain that the screwdriver is a snug fit into the head, any slack and you'll burr the head for certain and then you'll be in trouble.
Press down firmly and turn, the screws will be initially very hard to turn. There is some blue goo on the threads obviously meant to stop the screws working loose which creates a lot of friction in the threads. Once you break the hold that blue goo has the screws will become easier to turn.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds