Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #61
Major Player

Hello, with help from Bob Grant, I've made a shoe mount adapter just for the EX1 based on his example.

DM-Accessories - EX1-FLAT - Shoe Mount for Sony EX1

Thank you!
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #62
Major Player

Nicely made piece, Jeff. Couple of questions for you:

1. is there any kind of mechanical stop inside the slot to keep your accessory from sliding all the way through the groove?
2. do you take PayPal?

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #63
Major Player

Jeff,

Nice job - but you're exactly one week too late for me and my EX3! I would definitely have purchased yours. I had aluminum in stock, spent $15 for the shoe and shipping, and two hours cutting, grinding, and drilling!

One question - are there registry holes in the base for the nipples from the audio pod? I drilled additional holes for these as I did not want to damage the camera by cutting/breaking them off.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-mount01.jpg   Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-mount02.jpg  

Old September 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Nicely made piece, Jeff. Couple of questions for you:

1. is there any kind of mechanical stop inside the slot to keep your accessory from sliding all the way through the groove?
2. do you take PayPal?
Thanks!

1) Sorry, no mechanical stop, but I can consider adding it to this design if there's demand for it. That question really hasn't come up with my previous products.

2) yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Jeff,

Nice job - but you're exactly one week too late for me and my EX3! I would definitely have purchased yours. I had aluminum in stock, spent $15 for the shoe and shipping, and two hours cutting, grinding, and drilling!
Thanks, and sorry about that. I had the parts ready before, but no way to get photos sooner.

Quote:
One question - are there registry holes in the base for the nipples from the audio pod? I drilled additional holes for these as I did not want to damage the camera by cutting/breaking them off.
There will be, not on the first batch except maybe I would customize one by special request for someone that needs it ASAP. Bob pointed out the nubs to me last week when he had access to an EX3. That's why I said it wasn't EX3 compatible yet. I plan to make EX3 compatible mounts, it may be a few weeks.
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #65
Regular Crew

I just found this discussion and thought I would chime in. I made a mic mount for my DV-500 back in 2001 (I think, maybe it's been longer). I purchased a Light Wave Systems MiniMount Universal and made a detachable arm that fit the holes for their mic mount. The bracket is small, simple (although it did require a bit of work) and lightweight. I made and sold more then a few of these. At the time I had access to a machine shop so it was easy. I just got an EX1 so I will modify this mount to work on the Sony. The best thing is that it detaches with 1-2 turns of the screw, you don't have to tighten beyond finger tight, to put the camera in the case. I do like the simplicity of Bob Grant's bracket! I may fashion one like that for future cameras (EX1/3).

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Attached Thumbnails
Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-side.jpg   Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-back.jpg  

Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-detached.jpg  
Robert C. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #66
Major Player

I use the J-RODE

SEE ATTACHMENT
http://www.thej-rod.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-ex1.jpg  
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Brian the problem with any mount that uses the origional mic holder is that it has the same issues. The Sony mic mount is really flimsy. I used my EX1 for a few days before I sent it in for a backfocus issue and firmware update and this has to be the worst mic mount I have seen on a camera of this caliber. This is the reason most people replace it, as well as using a mount with more phsical isolation to reduce the handling noise.

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #68
Major Player

Ordered mine last night, Jeff. Looking forward to using it. I'll see how well things stay in place without the mechanical stop.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #69
Regular Crew

I am working on adapting my old mount to my EX1 and I haven't been able to measure the screws. Does anyone know what size and pitch the screws that hold the mic mount are?

I thought they were 4/48 but that's seems to be wrong.

Thanks
Robert C. Fisher
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Ordered mine last night, Jeff. Looking forward to using it. I'll see how well things stay in place without the mechanical stop.
I do appreciate the orders that people made, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert C. Fisher View Post
I am working on adapting my old mount to my EX1 and I haven't been able to measure the screws. Does anyone know what size and pitch the screws that hold the mic mount are?

I thought they were 4/48 but that's seems to be wrong.
The screws are actually 2.5mm diameter. There's only one thread pitch that I've found, so any screw that size that you get should be the right thread pitch.
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff I will begin my search for the elusive screws tommorrow.

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Part number for EX-1 Microphone Holder

It took me a while to dig up the part number for the EX-1 stock microphone holder, so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else needs it. The part number is:

X-2187-352-1

And you can order the part directly from Sony:

http://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx

(My apologies in advance if I wasn't supposed to post this link, but I wasn't sure and thought it might be helpful.)
Gabriel Chiefetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 05:37 AM   #73
Regular Crew

My mic rig

Comming from magnesium case camera like the Sony DXC-series, the EX3 made a lot of noise from handling the plastic case. Tried several solutions, but at the end made my own. A thin alu-tube with rubber bands from a bicycle tire(working best). Rubber bands to mont the mic, rubber in every joint, rubber covering the tube thar fits into EX3. Even works with a microphones like Audio Tech 835 st.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic Suspension Mount - What Are You Using?-ex3-micrig.jpg  
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #74
Major Player

Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild Pedersen View Post
Comming from magnesium case camera like the Sony DXC-series, the EX3 made a lot of noise from handling the plastic case. Tried several solutions, but at the end made my own. A thin alu-tube with rubber bands from a bicycle tire(working best). Rubber bands to mont the mic, rubber in every joint, rubber covering the tube thar fits into EX3. Even works with a microphones like Audio Tech 835 st.
I have a feeling that this will still suffer from the same strength issues due to the use of the supplied Sony mount. Let us know how you get on with it.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #75
Regular Crew

My rig

No problems, so far. When using mics like the Sony ECM 678, which is quite heavy, a move the rig a bit backwards to balance it.
And, I always remove the rig in the bag.
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds