Schneider/Century Optics .75 Wide Angle Converter for EX1 Recalled!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Schneider/Century Optics .75 Wide Angle Converter for EX1 Recalled!!

Yesterday I received my .75 Schneider Wide Angle Converter from B&H and I was initially elated. Why initially you ask? Well, I wanted to check some technical specs so I went to the Schneider Optics web site - http://www.schneideroptics.com/century/dv/ex/ex.htm - where I had originally seen the lens adapter (after NAB last month) and I couldn't find it on the web page that I had bookmarked. Curious, I called Schneider/Century in LA and learned that the company has withdrawn the optics from the market and are actively recalling all units that are currently in the retail channel. The woman I spoke with said that they had discovered some rather significant optical anomalies and decided to recall the unit. So, if you have bought this piece of I suggest you contact your retailer and return the unit. The woman at Schneider/Century I spoke with said that the company is currently working on addressing the problems in this model adapter with a updated version, but that they are several months away from solving the problem.
Torv Carlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Major Player

I bought their WA adaptor for my Z1 and have hated it. Worst money I ever spent. It is soft, has CA and any direct light causes lens flare.

It is like shooting with a soft focus filter on. I took it to Cuba for a shoot and all my HD stuff looked like it had been shot in SD.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Schneider has a lot of product for cinema and photography.
They have some aspheric lense like the SUPERWIDE ASPHERIC IV with a filter thread size of 77mm that could fit a 80 or 72mm camera with stepdown/up ring.
I ordered one to check with my FX1.
In another post i explain that many aspheric lens designed for old 8mm et 16mm camera are still available for cheap (i got en EUMIG one for 10$) an can fit some camera. My EUMIG PMaspheric lens perfectly fit my VX2000 giving a wider angle than the canon WD58 and with no bending at all.
I think there is something to dig here.Beaulieu, EUMIG, BOLEX are other brand name with nice products too.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I used to keep a Century WA adapter on my PD150 at all times, with no discernible quality loss. I got one for the HVX200 I briefly owned, which was also fine, but it was just so heavy that I ultimately returned it.

Then came the V1. I shot a job last summer with the Century WA on, and unfortunately didn't have a field monitor. Everything looked fine on the LCD, but on returning home I was dismayed to find that portions of the entire image were soft, in addition to the typical edge problems. I dreaded showing the producer the footage, but the upside (?) is that the show was eventually scrapped and I didn't have to.

Seems the QC has gone downhill.
Michael Rehfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
I bought their WA adaptor for my Z1 and have hated it. Worst money I ever spent. It is soft, has CA and any direct light causes lens flare.

It is like shooting with a soft focus filter on. I took it to Cuba for a shoot and all my HD stuff looked like it had been shot in SD.

Daniel Weber
Weird. I have the zoom-thru wide eye bought in 2005 for my Z1, and it's sharp as a tack, unless you're zoomed all the way in. It is heavy, no doubt about it.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:

Daniel Weber
Daniel,

I am certain that whatever issues you experienced with your Z1 and our attachment were purely and anomoly of the group. We occasionally get softness issues with some lenses but all are solved and explained by some cause or another. It is safe to say that almost all of the lenses that leave our factory our customers are very pleased with their results. This is what Century is know for and why our brand name is and continues to be the finest in accessory attachments. If you still have the piece then we will gladly inspect it and determine and help solve the issue.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torv Carlsen View Post
Yesterday I received my .75 Schneider Wide Angle Converter from B&H and I was initially elated. Why initially you ask? Well, I wanted to check some technical specs so I went to the Schneider Optics web site - http://www.schneideroptics.com/century/dv/ex/ex.htm - where I had originally seen the lens adapter (after NAB last month) and I couldn't find it on the web page that I had bookmarked. Curious, I called Schneider/Century in LA and learned that the company has withdrawn the optics from the market and are actively recalling all units that are currently in the retail channel. The woman I spoke with said that they had discovered some rather significant optical anomalies and decided to recall the unit. So, if you have bought this piece of I suggest you contact your retailer and return the unit. The woman at Schneider/Century I spoke with said that the company is currently working on addressing the problems in this model adapter with a updated version, but that they are several months away from solving the problem.
Shortly after the shipment of the first units, Schneider Optics Inc., discovered an unanticipated mismatch with the Sony EX1 video camera and our .75x Wide Converter. In certain scenes we have identified some distortion that may not be suitable to some of our customers.

At Schneider we pride ourselves on the quality of our products. The Century Brand stands for the best video accessories available, period. We strive to satisfy the most critical, most demanding customers and applications, not just the majority ...... or 9 out of 10. Therefore, we have discontinued the sale of this product effective immediately.

Any customer that has purchased a .75X Wide Converter for the Sony EX1, and is dissatisfied in any way can return it for a refund. Contact the dealer you purchased it from. If you have any problem at all, contact Schneider Optics directly at 1-800-228-1254.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Last edited by Ryan Avery; May 21st, 2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Ryan, I assume work is underway to resolve these issues and a WA that meets specs will become available at some point in the near future?
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
In another post i explain that many aspheric lens designed for old 8mm et 16mm camera are still available for cheap (i got en EUMIG one for 10$) an can fit some camera. My EUMIG PMaspheric lens perfectly fit my VX2000 giving a wider angle than the canon WD58 and with no bending at all.
I think there is something to dig here.Beaulieu, EUMIG, BOLEX are other brand name with nice products too.
Nice to know. Always worth checking out quality glass and seeking out unusual purchase routes for unexpected deals. Will look out for some of these.

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
Ryan, I assume work is underway to resolve these issues and a WA that meets specs will become available at some point in the near future?
We are currently evaluating the options but this product, only for the EX1, is recalled for the foreseeable future.

Our other products maintain the highest quality and have not experienced the issues particular to this camera.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Daniel,

I am certain that whatever issues you experienced with your Z1 and our attachment were purely and anomoly of the group. We occasionally get softness issues with some lenses but all are solved and explained by some cause or another. It is safe to say that almost all of the lenses that leave our factory our customers are very pleased with their results. This is what Century is know for and why our brand name is and continues to be the finest in accessory attachments. If you still have the piece then we will gladly inspect it and determine and help solve the issue.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan,

Thanks for the offer. We still have the adaptor. Please let me know how I can send it back, or who I should contact regarding this.

Thanks,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Ryan,

Thanks for the offer. We still have the adaptor. Please let me know how I can send it back, or who I should contact regarding this.

Thanks,

Daniel Weber
Please contact John Sioringas at our service department. 818-255-9359.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I've got a.7x WA on my Z1 and it never comes off. I love it, although I've had to start working again out to carry it..
Greg Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #14
Major Player

Is there an update on the availability of the "revised" wide angle zoom through lens? The site states mid-November for the release.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stone View Post
Is there an update on the availability of the "revised" wide angle zoom through lens? The site states mid-November for the release.
They are shipping this week. We should have all the numerous back orders filled in the next couple weeks. Some dealers that had the foresight to make stocking orders should have them available in the next couple days.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds