LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 17th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3

In another thread some of us digressed and started making hoods for the EX1s LCD in the manner of the EX3. After I made my own original I copied Serena model and found it excellent. I then set about taking the basic model a step further to incorporate two eye sockets. Last week in the hot desert I was holding one eye so tightly closed that it bled inside so why strain one eye and squint with the other when you can use two I thought.

Below are a sequence of pictures that start with Serena's model and follow the basic of my two eyed model to completion save for the eye-cups that I have not found yet. The picture names will add some meaning. Note these are just quick knock-ups not a polished final.
Attached Thumbnails
LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-afterserena.gif   LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-boxshell.gif  

LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-addlenses.gif   LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-clothcover.gif  

LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-addvelcro.gif   LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-2eyehoodnocups.gif  

Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Excellent! That looks like something from a horror flick.

BE
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You might want to paint or have the black foam core on the inside too - to absorb any bounce light of course.

I like your one eye idea though, maybe without a lense as I shoot on the bright beach all day.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Voevodsky View Post
You might want to paint or have the black foam core on the inside too - to absorb any bounce light of course.

I like your one eye idea though, maybe without a lense as I shoot on the bright beach all day.
As Mike mentioned, talk of putting a hood on the LCD got mixed up with the "film look" thread. There is a good reason for having the lens (eyepiece) because it magnifies the LCD. To save you going through that too long thread on film look, these are the relevant photos

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=961
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=962
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/files/2/8/5/1/7/box.jpg
http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/files/...iewing_end.jpg

Last edited by Serena Steuart; May 17th, 2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: 2 more pics of hood
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I would make a recess for your nose between the two eye sockets:)
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You might want to give the idea to Hoodman and see if they would build you
one with proper materials and all... actually not a bad idea...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I would make a recess for your nose between the two eye sockets:)
"Hey, who are you calling a big nose?" Life of Brian

See updates coming later today with two versions of face mask. As I told Serena, Hoodman uses a thin plastic covered with a nylon fabric. I will be trying that once I get a design I like

The trouble with mass production as opposed to custom like mine is that the diopter focus would need be adjustable. I do have a telescopic version that adjusts both eyes but would still need a balancing adjustment.
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Mike,

I made up the Hood unit you see in the Pics for my 4" monitor to use for outside work at Horse Shows.

You could just size it down to the Cam's side monitor size.

The flap of Tape at the entrance, conforms to your forehead to block out all outside lite. I've made up a few of these for my various Monitors.

I've got one of those "big noses", so I had to cut a small indentation in the lower edge to accommodate it. That's not shown in the Pics, as these are Pics of the setup before I used it, to know of the nose issue.

Harold
Attached Thumbnails
LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-3.jpg   LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-4.jpg  

Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Until I can get eye-cups I have brought this project to a close by using the silicone insert from some old snorkeling goggles as a two eyed hood. It works very well. A good design, just now need to experiment with materials.
Attached Thumbnails
LCD Hood for EX1 like EX3-siliconehood.gif  
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Mike, My wife says it looks like a parking meter, If that helps.
Charles Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Has anybody purchased and is using an actual Hoodman sun shield for the EX1?
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hawkes View Post
Has anybody purchased and is using an actual Hoodman sun shield for the EX1?
Yes Greg, I am using the H400 and must tell you that with the sun behind my back, its effectiveness is very limited.

Sometimes, in order to change the LCD angle and avoid reflections, I need to lift or lower the camera on my tripod...

But it's better than nothing!
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Piotr.

I guess if the sun is behind the camera I should use the view finder.
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hawkes View Post
Thanks Piotr.

I guess if the sun is behind the camera I should use the view finder.
Greg,

Since you agree with me (I assume you also read the thread here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=121943) - perhaps the two of us would cooperate in pursuing the viability of replacing the EX1's EVF with the Xtrafine piece from the Z7?

Unfortunately, we don't have a Sony Broadcast servicing facility in Poland, but there is one in the UK...
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stevens View Post
Until I can get eye-cups I have brought this project to a close by using the silicone insert from some old snorkeling goggles as a two eyed hood. It works very well. A good design, just now need to experiment with materials.
You should add the snorkel for underwater use!
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds