EX1 Service Report at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 18th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #1
New Boot

EX1 Service Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaine Baron View Post
I too had back focus issues with the EX1. I performed the in-camera back focus routines (using single / multiple charts). I also did Gerald's excellent sounding procedure (adjust using each ND setting). I even tried adjusting using a high contrast brick wall (suggested elsewhere).

All to no avail.

I observed sharp focus at full tele - NOT at the wide setting (very soft). Also, it seemed that sharp focus would remain only for the last adjusted ND setting. It would loose some focus when switching modes - right after performing adjustment on the other setting! Also, the cam exhibited discernible lens vignetting (didn't exist prior to back focus adj).

So after being on the fence since getting cam in January (sn#102019 w/firmware 1.03), I frustratingly sent it back to Sony. I wrote a detailed letter highlighting these issues with this cam. Along with other notable issues I'd been dealing with, including:

-Iris ring locked on me twice in full manual (had to restart cam)
-Battery (BP-U30) draining when not in use (battery left on/cam is OFF)
-Faded lettering near the SEL/SET dial
-SEL/SET dial knob frequently not moving in expected direction
-Audio issues when using my Sennheisser K6 shotgun mic

After 1 1/2 wks - I have spoken to the engineer working on my cam. I thought I'd share some feedback with the community.

1. vignetting/back focus issue -> SONY needed to "re-align" the lens.

2. Battery drainage -> SONY has replaced a circuit board to fix this.

3. SEL/SET dial knob not working as expected - SONY updated firmware (1.05) fixes this.

4. Fading letters -> SONY is replacing the back panel. This incidentally is delaying the return of the cam. They are currently waiting for parts (eg. panel, buttons).

5. Audio issues -> SONY performed diagnostics and report no audio issues (hmnn!)

I hope this is helpful to anyone who is contemplating returning their unit to Sony. I will update once it has been returned to me.

-B

I recently sent in the EX1 (5/2 - 5/15) to Sony for service. Above is my original post on another thread. Here's my post testing update:

1. I've had the battery (BP-U30) on, full charge, cam set to OFF for two days - the battery has not discharged.

2. Vignetting and Back Focus issues appears to have been resolved in all three ND modes.

3. SEL/SET dial wheel works as expected with new firmware (1.05).

Two issues issues remain however.

1. In my original letter to Sony I mentioned a pulsing wavelike pattern appearing twice on the lcd screen and recorded into footage. It still occurs. Haven't found what's causing it.

2. There's still an audible clicking noise heard, when adjusting audio gain while manually recording sound. I was told that Sony Japan is aware of this and is "working on it"

That's all for now

-B

Last edited by Germaine Baron; May 18th, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Germaine Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Major Player

I am amazed that they solved the battery drainage issue. Any others get this new circuit board fix?
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Trustee

My camera came back from Sony about three weeks ago for other issues.
I wonder when they received the fix for the battery drain.

This should be replaced in ALL EX1 cameras when in the shop regardless of noted issues. IMO, The battery drain problem should of been a recall for all cameras.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Major Player

My EX1 is in San Jose right now and I'm hoping (praying!) that all the fixes and patches are applied. I'll run some similar tests when it returns late this week or early next.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaine Baron View Post

1. In my original letter to Sony I mentioned a pulsing wavelike pattern appearing twice on the lcd screen and recorded into footage. It still occurs. Haven't found what's causing it.
I have noticed this as well, though I don't think that I have seen it recorded in the footage. I just thought that it was the LCD. Now I am concerned and need to go re-check the footage.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
My EX1 is in San Jose right now and I'm hoping (praying!) that all the fixes and patches are applied. I'll run some similar tests when it returns late this week or early next.
Dave, I had my camera twice at San Jose and they did not touch anything I was not complaining. Send them a letter or an email mentioning all other issue you want them to look at. I am also sending mine tomorrow for the third time for shuttered zooming and battery drain.

Regards.
Mike Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Good lord. If that happens to mine, I'll make my dealer eat the d**m thing. There's NO excuse for a two week old camcorder needing this kind of repair. Wish me luck.
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Mine is only two months old. So, good luck.

Mike
Mike Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Please give us the name of the top guy in San Jose. I understnad that talking with him first helps.
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

My camera is being picked up this Tuesday.

In reference to the faded lettering near the SEL/SET dial on the back. I don’t often use the SEL/SET joystick on the top but started using it only recently to avoid wearing out the lettering on the back. if frequently used, will the lettering start to fade as with the back, has anyone noticed this?

I know of the main issues, which are pretty much universal:
- Vignetting
- Back focus
- Faded lettering
- Battery drain

And issues I’ve found and reported to Sony, hence the reason my camera is going in for service in the first place:

- Autofocus Problem - pulsating light flicker along with the image going in and out of focus in time with the flickering.

- Shot transition - The zoom starts out slow, gets to a certain point and then there is an abrupt acceleration, gets to another point, then an abrupt deceleration. It doesn’t matter what speed/time is set.

- Excessive amounts of strobing in progressive mode. Noticeable when panning, moving vehicles etc…

Are there any more issues so I can highlight them whilst my camera is in for service?

Check out my profile for the above issues for more info.

Thanks,
Simon
Simon Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stevens View Post
Please give us the name of the top guy in San Jose. I understnad that talking with him first helps.
I am unaware of a "top guy". I only spoke to the tech assigned to service the camera.
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
I have noticed this as well, though I don't think that I have seen it recorded in the footage. I just thought that it was the LCD. Now I am concerned and need to go re-check the footage.

Daniel Weber

Yes it is recorded with the video . . . .
http://www.vimeo.com/germainebaron

-B
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #13
Major Player

Hmmmm, seems to have pulsated out of existence!
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #14
Major Player

Sorry Germaine,

I don't see it either. Like I said before, I have seen it on my LCD lot's of times, but never in the footage. If you have seen my Yosemite clip, it was in the LCD during that shoot, but never showed up in the footage.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Hmmmm, seems to have pulsated out of existence!
Seems my h.264/Vimeo compression doesn't show the phenomenom. I'll try to upload another clip.
Germaine Baron is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds