recording HD/SDI ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Major Player

recording HD/SDI ...

I'm wondering if the Matrox MXO2 coupled with a firestore HD recording unit would be a workable combination to record 4.2.2 in the field? Any thoughts?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #2
New Boot

Are you shure you didn't mean firewire? If that was it then the answer is yes. The MXO will capture to both uncompressed and proress in 10bit 4:2:2.
Nils G. Refstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Major Player

The answer is: No.

The MXO2 is codec agnostic, it should record to pretty much any installed codec, but needs an (Intel) Apple computer to which it connects via PCI Express. This can be a MacBook Pro with ExpressCard slot or Mac Pro with PCIe slot.

The FS recorders use firewire to connect to the camera to record a videostream and can then be connected to a computer for offloading.

The two devices cannot connect to each other.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Major Player

looks like ...

There's no way to connect for full rasta recording. That's too bad. I would like to see a reasonably price IO that's portable and can connect to something like a firestore HD recorder via these connections and record in these codecs. That could provide 10 bit 4.2.2 recording HD/SDI out of camera and into something that captures (other than a computer and yes, I know about convergent designs new product ~ and I'd like something a bit less expensive.) Just dreaming, probably!

HD and SD inputs and outputs

Matrox MXO2 features a full complement of professional inputs and outputs. RS-422 machine control is provided for frame-accurate capture and print-to tape with Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro. Up to five user selectable simultaneous video outputs, HD and/or SD on HDMI, SDI, and analog are supported.

Inputs
Video

SDI - HD/SD
Component - HD/SD
Y/C
Composite
HDMI - HD/SD
Audio

2 XLR - stereo pair (balanced)
2 RCA - stereo pair (unbalanced)
2 AES/EBU
SDI embedded – up to 8 channels
HDMI embedded - up to 8 channels

Outputs
Video

2 SDI - HD/SD
Component - HD/SD - 12-bit
Y/C - 12-bit
Composite - 12-bit
HDMI - HD/SD
Audio

4 XLR - 2 stereo pairs (balanced)
6 RCA - for surround sound monitoring (unbalanced)
2 AES/EBU
SDI embedded – up to 8 channels
HDMI embedded - up to 8 channels
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #5
Major Player

You can use the MXO2 (when it hits the shelves) to capture full raster 4:2:2 output via HD SDI from the EX. You could capture in ProRes in FCP or (if you license it) Cineform in Prospect HD (and up). Other codecs are available as well depending on your capture application.

You can add other applications like Scopebox to the setup to further enhance it. Add a fast exteral (Firewire 800) drive to capture bigger amounts of data.

An alternative is the Flash XDR or it's more economically priced "nano" version or the Cineform "solid". Expect pricing between 2k and 5k depending on features and i/o.

Using a integrated recording device has advantages to using a MBP as it is a dedicated 'platform' that you can expect to be more reliable than a combination of hard- and software.

Granted a new MBP, MXO2, Scopebox HD and software will set you back at about 6k, but that's only if you have to buy everything new. A simplet notebook (Windows) and an XDR will cost about the same, but is not a feature for feature match either way.

What is most suitable for you really depends on what you need.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Elite HD ...

One of the most promising pieces of equipment so far is the elite HD which is HD/SDI with removable 2.5 hard disks camera mountable. I have no idea of price or availability.
Anyone have any additional info on this unit.
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
One of the most promising pieces of equipment so far is the elite HD which is HD/SDI with removable 2.5 hard disks camera mountable. I have no idea of price or availability.
www.ffv.com/products/elite_front_4.pdf

P.s. Those are underscores not spaces in the url

No mention of 24P support, which is what Sony indicated at NAB08 for the EX3 and EX1 via firmware update, if they ever manage to pull that off for the later.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
I called the company twice.

The first time I got an engineer and learned a lot about the unit. $6,000 shipping in a matter of weeks.

The second call I was bounced around to a bunch on support people who did not even know what progressive meant.

Did not give me a lot of confidence.

I asked them to relay my questions to an engineer and I have never heard back...
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I heard back from the company today.

They informed me that the unit will not record 1080p nor will it record 24p.

So only 1080i, 720p25, 720p30, 720p50 & 720p60.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I heard back from the company today.

They informed me that the unit will not record 1080p nor will it record 24p.

So only 1080i, 720p25, 720p30, 720p50 & 720p60.

Thanks for confirming this Tim. I'm not surprised to hear this because 2.5" hard drives are just too slow to handle 1080-24p data rates even with JPEG compression.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds