PMW-EX1 Newbie Questions! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Major Player

PMW-EX1 Newbie Questions!

Just ordered my PMW-EX1 5/16, should get it 5/21.
very excited as this is my first pro model after 3 pro-sumer HDV cams starting with the SONY HDR-HC1 and most recent, the Canon HG10.
All of these had been very good, except for the low light, motion effects, and resolution.

I am sure the EX1 will be better. It better be as it cost nearly double the total cost of the first 3 HDV cams.

questions!

1. I am not planning to use any filters, so what do you EX1 pros use to clean the front element?

2. What do you advice to do within the first few days to check if everything is AOK? Is there a quick way to check exposure, resolution, or simply that all pixels are firing?

3. Is the SONY ECM673 a good choice to use in parallel with the built in mike?

4. Has anyone use the SD-HDI connectors with Aja ioHD to record live tethered to a MACBOOK Pro without using any SxS cards? Just how large is an hour of 1080p at 30fps in terms of GB's? I figure it has to be multiples of what's on the cards.

5. any favorite bags?

thanks!

paul
NYC
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't have the EX-1 so I can't answer most of your questions but I do have one point to share with all camera/camcorder users. Recently I started using the microclean cloths to clean my cameras and lenses and I think they are fabulous. They are available almost everywhere now from auto parts houses to grocery stores and they do a better job than anything else I have found. I highly recommend them.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds