Ex1 or Ex3 purchase decision... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 21st, 2008, 12:22 AM   #16
Major Player

I took the lens off of the EX3 at NAB (and then Sony Reps descended on me and took the camera away from me). I was hoping to find the secret of the EX1 backfocus problem by examining the internal ND filters of the EX3.

The mount is definitely all-metal, but felt more "die cast" or stamped than finely machined. It was definitely not as sturdy or precise as a PL or Panavision mount, but was stronger and nicer than, say, a Nikon mount. The design is quite unusual because of the mount's versatility - the flange depth is almost zero, allowing many optical options.

The pin for releasing the bayonet seemed rather crude (it was like a zoom lever) but then this was a pre-release camera. I am sure the final package will be quite a bit slicker.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Just to chime in...

The camera at two times the price of an EX1 is too expensive....

The price of this Cam needs to come down...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Given the ongoing back focus problems with the EX1 my feeling is that the interchangeable lens mount on the EX3 could be a negative feature. It doesn't look as solid as a PL or B4 mount, it appears to be only plastic.
unlike b4 mounts the ex3 lens has no mechanical adjustment to fiddle with so i can't see it making any difference to the ex1 backfocus.

The new firmware that Sony install when you send your camera back apparently fixed the back focus issue. The proper firmware update that will be done by users won't be out until early Autumn when the 32gb cards come out.
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hard to imagine how a firmware update can influence back focus, what am I missing here?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #20
Trustee

No way I'm paying double price for the same sensor size, I'll give up my EX1 only when/if half inch EX will be out;
:-)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Hard to imagine how a firmware update can influence back focus, what am I missing here?
Steve
At least for the EX1 the camera talks to the lens to compensate for ND. For this it uses a single Look Up Table (LUT) with corrections for the ND positions.

In the EX1 with firmware prior to 1.05 this correction data is incorrect, resulting in BF problems at one or more ND settings. This aparently differs per camera.

A FB Adjustment function is present in the service menu to "rewrite" the LUT, which can be used (sparingly) as a workaround. With FW 1.05 the adjustment should result in correct backfocus at all ND positions.

I have no specific information about the EX3 mount and how you will be able to adjust BF. Hhowever I expect it to be similar to the Z7/Z270 which have a similar menu-driven auto adjustment feature in the user menu as found in the EX1 service menu but includes "manual" adjustment as well (it's actually more like semi-automatic).

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
The proper firmware update that will be done by users won't be out until early Autumn when the 32gb cards come out.
Phil.
Is this a definate ?
IE from a reliable source. I'm quite happy with my self fixed backfocus,although i wouldn't mind having the latest firmware, i've got V1.02.

Paul.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Major Player

Philip is a reliable source ;)

But no release schedule is ever to be relied on.

Aparently a FW update is needed to support he new 32GB cards and harddisk unit, so Sony has to make it available around the release to be able to sell these things. That is always a good motivator for companies.

What other goodies will be in this release is unclear, but it's really unlikely to be a step back from 1.05.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #24
Trustee

Yeah i know Phil is a relialble source, i just meant was his source reliable.

Paul.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Yeah i know Phil is a relialble source, i just meant was his source reliable.

Paul.
Ditto, and Amen.

Let us all hope it was!
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #26
Regular Crew

For the price that is being asked for the EX3, it should at the minimum
have, 2/3 sensors and 422 color, if not 444 color...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:23 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Well there is an HD camera that is 4:2:2 with 2/3" CCDs for the price of an EX3. But you have to decide whether you want SD sensors or Full 1920x1080 HD sensors.
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:37 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
For the price that is being asked for the EX3, it should at the minimum
have, 2/3 sensors and 422 color, if not 444 color...
Ray...the price being asked (street price will be around 10k), is cheap. 2/3 sensors, 422 colour (444? really?) removable lens, full HD sensor? Then look at the PDW700 that is a hell of a lot more than 10k.

Also don't forget this is a small camera. Not a full size camera. Which is advantageous for so many reasons.

I have just placed my order for one. I can't wait!
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:45 AM   #29
Inner Circle

What I don't understand is the lens offered with the EX-3 is the same as the EX-1.

IMHO, they should have offered a longer lens with the EX-3 to separate it from the EX-1.

That way you justify it as a compliment to the EX-1.

Right now it looks like a larger EX-1 that costs $4,000 more.

I realize that one could purchase a separate lens, but to be honest, that would take the camera out of its price class.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:54 AM   #30
Trustee

i guess that would require getting fujinon to make another lens. Quite a cost which would have bumped up the price even more.

It is the same with a lot of cameras. The glass often costs more than the bodies. The cheaper the camera the more likely that will be. High quality 22 x 2/3" HD glass with extender costs 2 and a half times more than an HPX500.

To get the same lens for 1/2" that would fit the ex3 and my f350 i would need to spend about £10,000. I have a 20x Canon without extender for my F350 that will work my EX3 already so I am lucky but that in itself cost £5500 and it is far from best lens out there!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds