DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   can files be placed back to sxs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/122104-can-files-placed-back-sxs.html)

Chuck Wall May 21st, 2008 08:28 AM

can files be placed back to sxs

Hi
I thought I saw a similar post a while back but I couldnt locate it. I may need to put an edited clip back to sxs to play from the cameras sdi out.

Is this possible?

Chuck

Craig Seeman May 21st, 2008 08:45 AM

It depends on what you mean by "back to SxS"
In order for camera to play at XDCAM EX specs you'd need to somehow wrap your file back to .mp4 with EX "essence" and create the BPAV folder.

Now if you could find a utility to rewrap back to .mp4, Sony Clip Browser 1.5 (not out yet) should take an "orphaned" .mp4 an recreate a BPAV folder for it.

Chuck Wall May 21st, 2008 08:49 AM

Yes that is exactly what I need to take the mp4 and rewrap in bpav.
I need to use the cam possibly as a deck to offload to HDCAM.

Chuck

Craig Seeman May 21st, 2008 09:53 AM

I don't know of any way to rewrap back to .mp4 with XDCAM EX "essence."

One might as well get an HD-SDI video card for your computer but obviously that's not a very portable solution.

If you can get the data onto something portable (optical disk or portable hard drive) there are places like AbelCine that you can pay to output to a tape format.

Paul Newman May 21st, 2008 11:20 AM

You certainly can "record" a finished master to SXS card. It has to be "HDV" mode 1440x1080, make a m2t transport file and output it to your EX1 thru firewire, and record. This produces a wrapped mp4 file on the SXS.

This is therefore realtime record and not a file transfer as such, however it works fine.

Paul

Craig Seeman May 21st, 2008 11:24 AM

I was thinking in terms of EX codec thinking that would be why one might want HD/SD-SDI out. With HDV one can go to HDV deck.

Chuck Wall May 21st, 2008 11:42 AM

I would like to keep it at 35mb, my dvcprohd deck is going out for repair so my desire was to take the cam to the hdcam deck which is offsite.

Looks like the re-wrap is what I need.

Thanks

Craig Seeman May 21st, 2008 11:55 AM

It might be easier to copy the file to optical disk or portable hard drive then. Just make sure the place you use has the ability to playback the file or render to some "more universal" codec.

Steve Gibbons May 21st, 2008 01:17 PM

Not sure if this is what the discussion is about, but for the record...

We shoot on the SxS cards, dump to external hard drive, reuse the cards. And then back at our facility we copy the card contents from the hard drive back to SxS card and then dub via the camera's HD-SDI output to HDCAM for ingest into our Avid Unity.

We are careful to copy the complete SxS card folder hierarcy to and from and so far no problems.

We are anxiously awaiting the PMW-EX30 SxS deck!

SG

Craig Seeman May 21st, 2008 01:27 PM

Steve, that actually a viable workflow if one is converting source video to tape of some sort.

I think the problem happens is once you've edited something in your NLE with whatever it using in the timeline, you export your Master out to something that then, at that point, needs to go to tape. If you don't have HD/SD-SDI output card one needs a way to move the file to a facility that has such card going to the tape format needed. If one could go back to SxS card one could then use the camera as a "portable" HD/SD-SDI and travel to a deck rather than hunting down an NLE with such card.

In a nutshell people are looking for a portable master file to HD/SD-SDI out solution and would like to use the EX for that.

If one is editing in EX .mov, .mxf, .mp4 (depending on NLE) one would want to re-wrap that back to .mp4 with BPAV folder so camera can play it out.

If one can carry the camera as master playout device to deck, one doesn't have to worry about whether an "outside" facility's NLE can handle the codec. They'd need only let you use their deck as you play camera out to it.

Rob Collins May 21st, 2008 03:05 PM

I'm glad this has come up again! I rambled about it a while back--hopefully a future update of XDCAM transfer will support exporting to SxS. I can't imagine it would be that difficult, or why Sony wouldn't want to make it happen. Perhaps once the SxS deck ships? It would seem very strange if you couldn't export natively to that.