Missing Timecode....and "media needs to be restored" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Missing Timecode....and "media needs to be restored"

I have been shooting this week with fellow DVinfo user Bill Parker on his documentary and we have run into our cards giving us the "Media Needs to be restored" display. I just did a search and people seemed to find it when dealing with offload to a computer via USB and the camera (which we aren't doing). It isn't a REAL problem in that when you say execute all the data appears, but what gives. I was using my cards in his cam and now I get it on my cam too with those cards.

Problem number 2.....maybe this is connected.....who knows. We shot an interview today and transferred footage in Clip Browser then when viewing clips in XDCAM transfer a few of the clips show no timecode, or halfway through the timecode display will just show dashes. On those clips the clip shows up with Part 1, Part 2, etc in the subclip window. Then when you import the clips into Final Cut the timecode appears, but.......what gives. Anybody seen this?

BE
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

media needs to be restored...

if I remember correctly I got that message when I ejected the card improperly - I deleted clips and removed card before emptying trash?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Just to follow up on what Ben said, the time code on our first clip started at 00:48:10:00 on the card and in the Clip Browser. In XDCAM Transfer, that same clip starts at 01:01:58:15. Has anyone run into this before? The camera was set to tc regen. There also appear to be gaps in the time code between clips. That shouldn't happen in tc regen, no?

Incidentally, I recently upgraded to XDCAM Transfer 2.7. I don't know if that has any bearing on anything.

Thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What you describe with TC is something I saw in Transfer Tool 2.1 but not since. It seemed Transfer Tools was having problems with Clock Time Code as well as Drop Frame Time code. That's been fine for me in 2.5.1 and 2.7 though.

There was also an issue in 2.1 with 24 and 25fps material and certain types of Time Code (possibly also Clock Time at those frame rates). Those were fixed in 2.5.1 I believe.

When I get "Restore Media" on a given card, after Transfer, I Format rather than just Delete Clips on that card.

It does seem that 2.7 is slow in loading the time code. In List View it starts with dashes and they go down the list and become numbers.

I haven't seen any changes in time codes though. I do suspect there's been a change in how it looks at and loads time code though but I think that's a fix for previous TC issues.

Please list details about the TC you had it set to. Regen is a start but was it DF or NDF? What Frame Rate?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:26 AM   #5
Major Player

We shot in 1080p, 24p - NDF. We both had clips that were missing time code in XDCAM transfer, but not in Clip Browser or in FCP. There was only one clip where XDCAM Transfer changed the time code that was on the original clip. I don't suppose it really matters because i can edit with it - it's just weird.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Major Player

I had a strange one last weekend on a shoot.
In the middle of the shoot I got an error message telling me the camera couldn't write to the card any more. The card was almost empty.

I lost everything I had shot. I switched slots and got the message again.

I then formated the first card and the rest of the shoot went well.

I am scared of it happening again though.

I have gotten the repair message and it never harmed the footage.

It has only happened once though.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Once is a lot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds