Ultimate EX1 bug at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Ultimate EX1 bug

I got a EX1 yesterday and immediately took it out in the woods to film some sequences for a bear story we are shooting for the BBC in the woods of Minnesota. I had been following the chat room stories about early software bugs etc, and making sure our camera would be problem free. Had a good start but kept seeing an insect move across the image. First I thought it was something on the front of the lens, but couldn't see it when I looked. Then I thought it must be a fly buzzing around in front of the lens. Couldn't see that either. I kept on filming but would would see the black insect move across the picture again and again. I ended up peering into the lens and eventually saw a bug walk across the inside of the lens, probably about three elements back into the lens. I had to laugh having gone through the process of making sure there were no software bugs and got a real one instead. The BBC insisted on sending the camera from the UK so I can't easily swap it out. Guess I will have to put in the freezer, a bag of moth balls, or something to kill the bug? I then want to send it off to a bug expert to see if it crawled in here, is an English bug from the rental house or one that came all the way from Japan. Will keep you posted.
David C Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Major Player

what was the serial number david?
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Serial number

Serial #403078
David C Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Major Player

the 3 thousands, probably made in january
since the lens is sealed into the camera, not sure when the bug got in, but it should be an easy exchange for you, either form the california or new jersey location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C Wright View Post
Serial #403078
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Paul, are you saying that New Jersey (Teaneck?) is now handling service issues in addition to San Jose, California? Do you know this from Sony? When I asked a while back they told me San Jose ONLY (in USA).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Craig:
My camera went to Teaneck, NJ for a dead LCD & EVF replacement.
I suppose that could be confirmation
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
Craig:
My camera went to Teaneck, NJ for a dead LCD & EVF replacement.
I suppose that could be confirmation
Did they give you a new insect?

Great news for those of us in the north east USA. Given the cost and time it takes to ship to San Jose, it's much easier for me to drive to NJ for drop off and pick (should such emergency arise). That could mean getting a camera back several days sooner . . . and days means getting back to earning income with it sooner.

It might help everyone here if Sony posted updated list of service centers for the camera or if any others found that Sony has added new service sites.
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Major Player

craig,
when i had the stuck pixels issue, my first discussion with my pro rep was to get a new unit. they spoke with the new jersey location and said that any replacement would be through them, for a new unit.
they also walked me through some internal functions that fixed the problem, so a replacement need not be placed.

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Paul, are you saying that New Jersey (Teaneck?) is now handling service issues in addition to San Jose, California? Do you know this from Sony? When I asked a while back they told me San Jose ONLY (in USA).
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
what was the serial number david?
love that question! it's like "ah! yes, the 3000s had a real problem with bug infestation, that 4000s were fitted with zappers to combat that problem"
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Yes Phil. There's was that standing puddle of water in which all those mosquitos hatched at the same time during a specific production run.

In fact as the season goes on you'll be able to equate the serial number to the type of bug and its point in development.

You see they got the mosquitos but not the fruit flies. The series with the Japanese beetles creates very nice reflections off the shell but there's no control over it.

All this will be equated to the serial number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
love that question! it's like "ah! yes, the 3000s had a real problem with bug infestation, that 4000s were fitted with zappers to combat that problem"
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Major Player

Thought that was "bokeh". Now it's bug-keh?
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes but the camera is probably bug-keh-rd.

I have a friend that put a DSR570 down in some grass. Next time he switched it on it went pop. When it went in to be repaired it was found to be full of ants that had shorted some of the power supply parts.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #13
Major Player

Oh man, this is just too funny. A bug in the lense!? LOL!

I hope you get a new unit quickly so you don't lose too much time with your BBC spot.
Zack Birlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C Wright View Post
I got a EX1 yesterday and immediately took it out in the woods to film some sequences for a bear story we are shooting for the BBC in the woods of Minnesota. The BBC insisted on sending the camera from the UK so I can't easily swap it out.
David.
Interesting news.
Slightly off topic,
I thought that the BBC had vetted the EX1 and found it unsuitable for their HD use? Or would this be for SD only? Something about 35mBs VBR being insufficient bandwidth for them after encoding? (reel-TV reported this last week, I believe.)

Could you enlighten us?

Thanks!
Cheers
Chris
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #15
Regular Crew

BBC use

You are right about the EX1 not being accepted as full HD by the BBC. We are allowed to have 5% of our film shot on this camera and not have more that 40 seconds of footage in one go. Most of the film is being shot with a Panasonic HDX900 (1080 25p). Normally we would not use this camera but have a need for a small portable unit to backpack into more remote locations.

Apart from the intruder, the camera is performing well. I pulled it out again today and did not see the little critter. May be the zoom squashed him. Trouble is that would leave a pile of crunched up bug parts floating around in the lens. Glad this is a rental and hopefully we can get it exchanged.
David C Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds