EX1 footage storage solution advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 26th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 footage storage solution advice

Am planning a 3 week trip into Ecuador and the Amazon next year and am planning to EX1's.

There are 3 different facets to the trip which require a lot of filming - I can see us coming back with 60-80 hours in total which unless my maths is very wrong is somewhere around 1200Gb.

What would you suggest as being the best storage solution as the budget won't stretch to 75 SxS cards!!
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #2
Major Player

I think the most practical would be to burn to DL DVD daily, send at least one copy home, keep at least one copy with you. It will be a lot of DVD's though.

There are also ruggedized harddisks that you could use to copy/keep data on. That would be more fragile, but you can copy to it quicker and use them for (quick)edits.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #3
Major Player

I'd suggest two large rugged harddrives. Make identical copies to both of them and keep them separated in different bags with different people. That way you will have higher security than tape if a bag gets lost and also redundancy if one of the hard drives break down.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi I'm doing a six week shoot without power in the Himalayas later this year. My solution is to take a number of ruggedized 320 GB external drives (LaCie) for two copies of everything and I have just bought a Vaio multimedia laptop with Bluray burning capability. My plan is to shotmark important clips and then Bluray them as well. I'll also take an old laptop as a backup which will allow transfer to the hard drives in an emergency if the Vaio fails. Power is the big issue for me as the laptop chews it up, so its a big solar array, and support from a battery supplier.
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds