DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Headphone Audio Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/122709-headphone-audio-question.html)

Sean Seah May 30th, 2008 12:22 AM

Headphone Audio Question

Hi folks, I noticed the headphone audio from the EX1 is quite low at the average volume. Is that normal? The mic was the onboard mic. When I hooked up an ME66, it was a little louder but I had to crank up the volume on the "monitor vol" to hear it clearly. I removed the headphone and the onboard speaker is even softer! My FX1 has a louder pair of speakers for sure. Is it normal?

Alexander Kubalsky May 30th, 2008 02:38 AM

have you checked to make sure the two "Audio Level" dials at the back near the Sxs card slots are turned up?

Piotr Wozniacki May 30th, 2008 02:50 AM

Of course, getting the right level of audio (proper trim level and appropriate gain) is the basic thing to check; but assuming Sean is not making any trivial error here, it has to be stated that - starting with the V1, I think - Sony has chosen to drastically lower the monitoring output level (both the speaker and headphones).

Having good headphones is therefore even more necessary than ever before; I've just bought myself the Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk II - what a difference! Highly recommended...

Gints Klimanis May 30th, 2008 02:53 AM

The headphone level is low because the microphone level is too low. I turned up the audio input trim to remedy the problem.

Piotr Wozniacki May 30th, 2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 885564)
The headphone level is low because the microphone level is too low. I turned up the audio input trim to remedy the problem.

I'm afraid it's not that easy, Gints. Just search this forum for audio distortion problem threads - with some (most?) mics, the trimming must be quite aggressive to avoid clipping problems.

Dave McCallister May 30th, 2008 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 885559)
Having good headphones is therefore even more necessary than ever before; I've just bought myself the Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk II - what a difference! Highly recommended...

Piotr:

Could you compare the sensitivity of your Sennheiser with the Sony 7506 or similar headphones?

Piotr Wozniacki May 30th, 2008 03:26 AM

Sorry Dave - don't have access to the other headphones...

Dave Morrison May 30th, 2008 09:36 AM

I'm using 7509HD's with my EX1 and they have good solid levels. When the camera gets back from Sony Service, I'll try to see what level I've been running them at.

Sean Seah May 30th, 2008 10:38 AM

Hi folks. I set the ME66 with the roll over on Auto mode and it worked fine at a dinner tonight. Only the headphone audio level wasnt very high at the average level. I bumped it up to 3/4 and it was good with my Senn PXC250. They worked much better on the FX1 but it is obvious the matching isnt that good on the EX1. BTW, I noticed a setting that says -41dB for the mic input. Is that normal? Sorry if these r basic stuff but its my first encounter with XLR mics. I had an easy time with the Rode Stereo mics in the past so its time to learn. Thks all!