Headphone Audio Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 30th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #1
Trustee

Headphone Audio Question

Hi folks, I noticed the headphone audio from the EX1 is quite low at the average volume. Is that normal? The mic was the onboard mic. When I hooked up an ME66, it was a little louder but I had to crank up the volume on the "monitor vol" to hear it clearly. I removed the headphone and the onboard speaker is even softer! My FX1 has a louder pair of speakers for sure. Is it normal?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

have you checked to make sure the two "Audio Level" dials at the back near the Sxs card slots are turned up?
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Of course, getting the right level of audio (proper trim level and appropriate gain) is the basic thing to check; but assuming Sean is not making any trivial error here, it has to be stated that - starting with the V1, I think - Sony has chosen to drastically lower the monitoring output level (both the speaker and headphones).

Having good headphones is therefore even more necessary than ever before; I've just bought myself the Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk II - what a difference! Highly recommended...
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The headphone level is low because the microphone level is too low. I turned up the audio input trim to remedy the problem.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
The headphone level is low because the microphone level is too low. I turned up the audio input trim to remedy the problem.
I'm afraid it's not that easy, Gints. Just search this forum for audio distortion problem threads - with some (most?) mics, the trimming must be quite aggressive to avoid clipping problems.
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Having good headphones is therefore even more necessary than ever before; I've just bought myself the Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk II - what a difference! Highly recommended...
Piotr:

Could you compare the sensitivity of your Sennheiser with the Sony 7506 or similar headphones?
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Sorry Dave - don't have access to the other headphones...
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm using 7509HD's with my EX1 and they have good solid levels. When the camera gets back from Sony Service, I'll try to see what level I've been running them at.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi folks. I set the ME66 with the roll over on Auto mode and it worked fine at a dinner tonight. Only the headphone audio level wasnt very high at the average level. I bumped it up to 3/4 and it was good with my Senn PXC250. They worked much better on the FX1 but it is obvious the matching isnt that good on the EX1. BTW, I noticed a setting that says -41dB for the mic input. Is that normal? Sorry if these r basic stuff but its my first encounter with XLR mics. I had an easy time with the Rode Stereo mics in the past so its time to learn. Thks all!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds