Waterproof solution for kayaking with EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Waterproof solution for kayaking with EX1?

Howdy. I just got my EX1 and I'm pretty excited about getting out and using it. I will be creating wilderness adventure footage and a lot of my stuff will be shot with some sort of waterproof housing, for conditions such as tour kayaking, shallow underwater river shots, blustering windy/sandy extreme conditions on the coast, etc. I won't be doing any diving or anything requiring more than a couple feet of depth protection.

The Ewa-Marine bags look ideal, but I will need to mount the housing on a tripod most of the time. Can I do this with the Ewa-Marine? I have not seen one other than the photos on their site, and I couldn't find any information on their site about tripod mounts.

If not, any other recommendations? I'd hate to spend a gazillion dollars on a full diving waterproof housing, which can easily cost as much as the EX1 and more. And I'm not even sure those have tripod mounts? I will be mounting this on the deck of my kayak. Is there a solution I might not know about? I'm just asking for advice if anyone has been in this situation or knows about something.

Gracias!
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I feel your pain. On the one hand you have what looks like an $800 ziplock baggie that your supposed to trust with your prescious wonderful new camera. On the other is a housing that is obviously superior but costs as much as the camera. Here's what I would do.

Buy the baggie but also buy a smaller handycam and housing for the hardcore stuff like strapping on a kayak in class V whitewater. The other advantages to this is you can focus on your safety not the camera's safety in a critical situation. Imagine being in a comprimising situation and all you can think about is what's happening with your camera.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds