DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   best raincover for EX: Petrol or Porta Brace? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/122817-best-raincover-ex-petrol-porta-brace.html)

Malcolm Hamilton May 31st, 2008 08:51 AM

best raincover for EX: Petrol or Porta Brace?

Hi there,

there seem to me to be two raincover options for the EX1:

1. the Petrol PRC-EX1, that's mostly transparent polyurethane; seems to offer easy access to everything, including the use of the flip-out LCD...

and the

2. Porta Brace 'Rain Slicker', which is less poly/more fabric... doesn't look, if you can judge by a jpeg on a web page (which you can't, which is the reason for this post) as easy to work with), but it must have its good qualities too.

Has anyone on the forum looked at each, up close, and compared them? If so, what are your thoughts?

thanks, Malcolm

Nils G. Refstrup May 31st, 2008 12:14 PM

I have the porta brace cover, which is a combined body armor with a build in semi waterproof rain cover. It will protect the camera well from abuse and sprays of water, sand and other particles. But it isn't what I would consider "waterproof".

It is a solid product, build from strong weatherproof materials, that offer medium water protection. The first time you put it on the camcorder can be quite a challenge, so remember to practice before the rain starts. Every part of the cover use velcro so there is easy access to everything.

I considered both and went with the porta brace since it offers "more" than just rain protection. The only thing I trust in the rain anyway, is taped plastic bags.

regards,
Nils

Greg Hawkes June 1st, 2008 05:07 AM

I have enquired about the Petrol cover both directly to the company in Isarael and to my local supplier in the UK. Nothing from either of them.

As I have some weddings to film shorlty I ordered the Kata compact rain cover CRC-15 it was raining the day it arrived so I tried it out straigt away.

I have to say I am very impressed with it. Easy to put on, keeps the camera dry and gives full access to all controls and I can see the LCD clearly through the transparent cover.

Malcolm Hamilton June 1st, 2008 07:01 AM

thanks for your advice. The Porta Brace looks so cumbersome, I have to say... maybe more heavy-duty than I need.
On the other hand, you're right, Greg, the Petrol PRC-EX just doesn't seem to be available. I emailed Petrol yesterday and got this reply:
"We do not have the stock at this point. Do you want to consider the
PRC-S-HDV instead? It will fit the EX1 however it will be just nice"

I question whether something made for another camera would be "just as nice". If that's the case, why make the PRC-EX at all, if this other one works just as well?

I'll check out the Kata.
cheers, Malcolm

John Gilmore June 1st, 2008 07:26 AM

I bought the Kata CRC-15. I don't think it was specifically made for the EX1 but it seems to fit OK.

Rainer Mann June 1st, 2008 03:57 PM

I have the Kata 15, too. Great cover, saved my day while shooting a biking race at a rainy day...

Malcolm Hamilton June 1st, 2008 04:27 PM

On the subject of rain covers, I've got to go with the advice of someone with the name of Rainer.
thank you all. I'll check out the Kata, as it seems to fit. I see B&H has it for $99.
Cheers, Malcolm