best raincover for EX: Petrol or Porta Brace? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 31st, 2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Major Player

best raincover for EX: Petrol or Porta Brace?

Hi there,

there seem to me to be two raincover options for the EX1:

1. the Petrol PRC-EX1, that's mostly transparent polyurethane; seems to offer easy access to everything, including the use of the flip-out LCD...

and the

2. Porta Brace 'Rain Slicker', which is less poly/more fabric... doesn't look, if you can judge by a jpeg on a web page (which you can't, which is the reason for this post) as easy to work with), but it must have its good qualities too.

Has anyone on the forum looked at each, up close, and compared them? If so, what are your thoughts?

thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM   #2
New Boot

I have the porta brace cover, which is a combined body armor with a build in semi waterproof rain cover. It will protect the camera well from abuse and sprays of water, sand and other particles. But it isn't what I would consider "waterproof".

It is a solid product, build from strong weatherproof materials, that offer medium water protection. The first time you put it on the camcorder can be quite a challenge, so remember to practice before the rain starts. Every part of the cover use velcro so there is easy access to everything.

I considered both and went with the porta brace since it offers "more" than just rain protection. The only thing I trust in the rain anyway, is taped plastic bags.

regards,
Nils
Nils G. Refstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have enquired about the Petrol cover both directly to the company in Isarael and to my local supplier in the UK. Nothing from either of them.

As I have some weddings to film shorlty I ordered the Kata compact rain cover CRC-15 it was raining the day it arrived so I tried it out straigt away.

I have to say I am very impressed with it. Easy to put on, keeps the camera dry and gives full access to all controls and I can see the LCD clearly through the transparent cover.
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks for your advice. The Porta Brace looks so cumbersome, I have to say... maybe more heavy-duty than I need.
On the other hand, you're right, Greg, the Petrol PRC-EX just doesn't seem to be available. I emailed Petrol yesterday and got this reply:
"We do not have the stock at this point. Do you want to consider the
PRC-S-HDV instead? It will fit the EX1 however it will be just nice"

I question whether something made for another camera would be "just as nice". If that's the case, why make the PRC-EX at all, if this other one works just as well?

I'll check out the Kata.
cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I bought the Kata CRC-15. I don't think it was specifically made for the EX1 but it seems to fit OK.

Last edited by John Gilmore; June 1st, 2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Mistake
John Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have the Kata 15, too. Great cover, saved my day while shooting a biking race at a rainy day...
Rainer Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Major Player

On the subject of rain covers, I've got to go with the advice of someone with the name of Rainer.
thank you all. I'll check out the Kata, as it seems to fit. I see B&H has it for $99.
Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds