EX1 and insurance at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 65
EX1 and insurance

Hello everyone,

B&H have the Sagemax insurance policy for the EX1, which on paper sounds great - it covers just about everything (dropping the camera, etc). But ... Sony won't let B&H ship to Alaska. Why I do not know. So I have to go through a West Coast dealer, which doesn't have the Sagemax insurance policy. I've been searching dvinfo/dvxuser for gear insurance advice, but I don't own a company/rent to third parties/am involved in a production/etc. I don't need film production insurance: I just want to cover a $6,500 product! That's all. Any advice?
Gabriel Florit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Florit View Post
Hello everyone,

B&H have the Sagemax insurance policy for the EX1, which on paper sounds great - it covers just about everything (dropping the camera, etc). But ... Sony won't let B&H ship to Alaska. Why I do not know. So I have to go through a West Coast dealer, which doesn't have the Sagemax insurance policy. I've been searching dvinfo/dvxuser for gear insurance advice, but I don't own a company/rent to third parties/am involved in a production/etc. I don't need film production insurance: I just want to cover a $6,500 product! That's all. Any advice?
If you join the NPPA (National Press Photographers Association), the cost for joining is $110. annually, you can then get a discounted insurance policy thru Hays Affinity. Great policy, and they cover all your gear, not just the EX1.

Go to:
http://nppa.org/

for all the details.

Scott K.
Scott Karlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Utrecht, NL | Europe 3rd Rock from the Sun
Posts: 612
I believe you can just buy the appropriate "policy" at B&H without ordering the camera there. It's not a B&H insurance, they just resell it.

Have you called them and did they tell you anything different?

The SageMax webiste is here: http://sagemaxprotectionplan.com/FAQs.asp

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
I believe you can just buy the appropriate "policy" at B&H without ordering the camera there. It's not a B&H insurance, they just resell it.
As far as I know, Sagemax's rule (not ours) is you have to buy their warranty w/in 30 days from when you bought the item to be warranted and you can only buy the warranty from us if you bought the item from us too.
__________________
Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Henry Posner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 65
Alaska...

Thanks for all the info... but it doesn't apply anymore. I live in AK, and Abel/B&H won't ship up here. So no Sagemax warranty. Guess I have to go with insurance. Thanks!
Gabriel Florit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #6
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Florit View Post
Thanks for all the info... but it doesn't apply anymore. I live in AK, and Abel/B&H won't ship up here.
Sony's restriction, not ours.
__________________
Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Henry Posner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 241
Semi-off topic but, why doesn't Sony allow the camera to be shipped to Alaska?
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #8
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Laronge View Post
Semi-off topic but, why doesn't Sony allow the camera to be shipped to Alaska?
I believe Sony wants to protect local retailers. You'd have to ask them to be certain.
__________________
Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
Henry Posner is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network