DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Filter combinations and the EX1. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/123007-filter-combinations-ex1.html)

Justin Benn June 3rd, 2008 03:02 PM

Filter combinations and the EX1.

I've noticed that one or two EX1 users have developed a combination of filters that they feel regularly enhances the image available from this camera (setting aside the needs of a particular shot in particluar circumstances). For example, Steve Mims (http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...9&postcount=32) likes using a warming polarizer and a graduated filter (admittedly as part of his desire to emulate 7248 colour negative film).

Have any of you begun to use certain filters out of habit with the EX1 yet? Or a combination of filters for the look you want? What kind of image enhancements are you getting which you think bring out the best in the camera's performance?

[I'll be using one in and around the Caribbean this summer (warm light) for some NGO documentaries with quite a bit of outdoor shooting - mostly 30/60fps with a few pieces intended for 24fps TV spots].

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Justin.

Ola Christoffersson June 3rd, 2008 03:29 PM

This is probably a little off topic but I have to ask: why would you choose to shoot tv spots at 24fps and not a framerate that is compatible with either the US och European standard tv frame rates?

Sean Donnelly June 3rd, 2008 05:38 PM

Ola, it's an aesthetic choice. Most commercials in the US are shot at 24 fps, and a 3:2 pulldown is applied.

-Sean

Ola Christoffersson June 4th, 2008 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly (Post 887978)
Ola, it's an aesthetic choice. Most commercials in the US are shot at 24 fps, and a 3:2 pulldown is applied.

-Sean

I see. Since I live in PAL-land it makes more sense to use 25P than 24P for TV since it will not give any jerkyness or judder but still gives the same aesthetic look. Are you saying that 30P actually looks different from 24P and that's why you shoot 24P? Can you really see that small a difference in frame rate?

George Kroonder June 4th, 2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson (Post 888115)
Can you really see that small a difference in frame rate?

20% difference in framerate isn't small... 24/25p is pretty negligible though.

Also I can't say I'm a subscriber to Steve Mims' setup. Especially favoring long lenses and using a grad 'as standard' doesn't really agree with me.

I use custom profiles and often do use a pola but I'm not always shooting the same stuff under the same conditions, so I setups vary per project.

George/

Dean Harrington June 4th, 2008 04:53 AM

fliters ...

I'll be getting a EX3 when it comes out and a redrock mattebox. I'll have a polarizer, ND grads, Black frost 1/4 & 1/2 to use with box for most outdoor applications. Any other suggestions?

Justin Benn June 4th, 2008 06:22 AM

Good question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson (Post 887925)
This is probably a little off topic but I have to ask: why would you choose to shoot tv spots at 24fps and not a framerate that is compatible with either the US och European standard tv frame rates?

There are a few items we have to shoot for which the client is interested in having a film-like cadence to the movement. Their wish, not ours. We stil have time to convince them otherwise.

Justin.

Justin Benn June 4th, 2008 06:23 AM

Which brand?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Harrington (Post 888151)
I'll be getting a EX3 when it comes out and a redrock mattebox. I'll have a polarizer, ND grads, Black frost 1/4 & 1/2 to use with box for most outdoor applications. Any other suggestions?

Dean, exactly which brands and models have you sprung for?

Ola Christoffersson June 4th, 2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Benn (Post 888171)
There are a few items we have to shoot for which the client is interested in having a film-like cadence to the movement. Their wish, not ours. We stil have time to convince them otherwise.

Justin.

Oh - i realise that. I like that look too. I just though you'd get that look shooting 30P as well without getting the jerky pans.

Dean Harrington June 4th, 2008 07:52 AM

filters ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Benn (Post 888173)
Dean, exactly which brands and models have you sprung for?

schneider Optics 4"x 4" Black Frost ~ 1/8/ & 1/4
hoyas for the rest which are called kinkos in Japan