Filter combinations and the EX1. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Filter combinations and the EX1.

I've noticed that one or two EX1 users have developed a combination of filters that they feel regularly enhances the image available from this camera (setting aside the needs of a particular shot in particluar circumstances). For example, Steve Mims (http://dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?...9&postcount=32) likes using a warming polarizer and a graduated filter (admittedly as part of his desire to emulate 7248 colour negative film).

Have any of you begun to use certain filters out of habit with the EX1 yet? Or a combination of filters for the look you want? What kind of image enhancements are you getting which you think bring out the best in the camera's performance?

[I'll be using one in and around the Caribbean this summer (warm light) for some NGO documentaries with quite a bit of outdoor shooting - mostly 30/60fps with a few pieces intended for 24fps TV spots].

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Justin.

Last edited by Justin Benn; June 3rd, 2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: More info.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Major Player

This is probably a little off topic but I have to ask: why would you choose to shoot tv spots at 24fps and not a framerate that is compatible with either the US och European standard tv frame rates?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ola, it's an aesthetic choice. Most commercials in the US are shot at 24 fps, and a 3:2 pulldown is applied.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly View Post
Ola, it's an aesthetic choice. Most commercials in the US are shot at 24 fps, and a 3:2 pulldown is applied.

-Sean
I see. Since I live in PAL-land it makes more sense to use 25P than 24P for TV since it will not give any jerkyness or judder but still gives the same aesthetic look. Are you saying that 30P actually looks different from 24P and that's why you shoot 24P? Can you really see that small a difference in frame rate?
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
Can you really see that small a difference in frame rate?
20% difference in framerate isn't small... 24/25p is pretty negligible though.

Also I can't say I'm a subscriber to Steve Mims' setup. Especially favoring long lenses and using a grad 'as standard' doesn't really agree with me.

I use custom profiles and often do use a pola but I'm not always shooting the same stuff under the same conditions, so I setups vary per project.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #6
Major Player

fliters ...

I'll be getting a EX3 when it comes out and a redrock mattebox. I'll have a polarizer, ND grads, Black frost 1/4 & 1/2 to use with box for most outdoor applications. Any other suggestions?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
This is probably a little off topic but I have to ask: why would you choose to shoot tv spots at 24fps and not a framerate that is compatible with either the US och European standard tv frame rates?
There are a few items we have to shoot for which the client is interested in having a film-like cadence to the movement. Their wish, not ours. We stil have time to convince them otherwise.

Justin.
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #8
Major Player

Which brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
I'll be getting a EX3 when it comes out and a redrock mattebox. I'll have a polarizer, ND grads, Black frost 1/4 & 1/2 to use with box for most outdoor applications. Any other suggestions?
Dean, exactly which brands and models have you sprung for?
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
There are a few items we have to shoot for which the client is interested in having a film-like cadence to the movement. Their wish, not ours. We stil have time to convince them otherwise.

Justin.
Oh - i realise that. I like that look too. I just though you'd get that look shooting 30P as well without getting the jerky pans.
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Major Player

filters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
Dean, exactly which brands and models have you sprung for?
schneider Optics 4"x 4" Black Frost ~ 1/8/ & 1/4
hoyas for the rest which are called kinkos in Japan
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds