Broadcast HD cams and our EX1 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 231
Broadcast HD cams and our EX1

i took these after capturing a live broadcast of the 2008 french open finals, then use powerdvd 8.0 to grab stills.
(see attached)

as we can see, the resolution of the broadcast hd cams under non studio conditions is not any better than our EX1's.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/attachment.ph...0&d=1212721806

paul
Attached Thumbnails
Broadcast HD cams and our EX1-pdvd_001.jpg   Broadcast HD cams and our EX1-pdvd_000.jpg  

Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,230
That's not quite fair to the broadcast cameras as their signal has been stomped on to be able to transmit it to your home.

Look at the color, still looks very good after the stomping...
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
That's not quite fair to the broadcast cameras as their signal has been stomped on to be able to transmit it to your home.

Look at the color, still looks very good after the stomping...
I agree. What you see on TV is never going to be as good as the original footage. I find the comparison remarkable.
__________________
Dennis Robinson
G5, , 30 inch display, FCP6 Studio 2, JVC-GYHD111
Dennis Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 231
i am not so sure guys on the quality of broadcast as i have visited upload trucks and studio mixers and what you see now over satellite and cable (my case) is very close to what the original signal is. the technology is here.

of course, i am being silly to think our $7000 EX1 can match the fidelity of some $50,000 XDCAM HD with 5/8" sensors, but you have to like what we are getting.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cardiff, Wales, UK
Posts: 410
The data rate of delivery mangles up any real quality. Quality is subjective to present SD delivery which is not really very good. The EX1 original pictures at 35mbits is superb compared to broadcast delivery and it really shows on home LCDs.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Africa
Posts: 255
Yes, it's a completely unfair comparison. Interesting images, though.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #7
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
i am not so sure guys on the quality of broadcast as i have visited upload trucks and studio mixers and what you see now over satellite and cable (my case) is very close to what the original signal is. the technology is here.

of course, i am being silly to think our $7000 EX1 can match the fidelity of some $50,000 XDCAM HD with 5/8" sensors, but you have to like what we are getting.
i was watching that match....

In any case, no there is no current HD broadcast that comes close to the data rate of the raw HD format. Best case is over the air from local affiliates and even that can vary depending on how many sub channels they are running.


-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
i was watching that match....
In any case, no there is no current HD broadcast that comes close to the data rate of the raw HD format. Best case is over the air from local affiliates and even that can vary depending on how many sub channels they are running.
-gb-
For HD, see 38.8 Mbps on Comcast cable at 1280x720p 60 fps and 1920x1080 29.97 fps. For SD cable, I see 528x480, 15 MBps. That's a higher data rate than the EX1. I see 19.2 MBps on ATSC. Satellite is much less, as I'm seeing about 10 MBps on DISH Network for SD, although I don't know what their HD rate is.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #9
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 6,108
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
For HD, see 38.8 Mbps on Comcast cable at 1280x720p 60 fps and 1920x1080 29.97 fps. For SD cable, I see 528x480, 15 MBps. That's a higher data rate than the EX1. I see 19.2 MBps on ATSC. Satellite is much less, as I'm seeing about 10 MBps on DISH Network for SD, although I don't know what their HD rate is.
That's pretty good for Comcast if true. I am aware that satellite is much lower... around 11 to 15 mbps. I see 19.2 also for ATSC, but again, that has to be shared amongst the sub channels if they use them. Our local CBS affiliate does not, whereas NBC, ABC and FOX local all have at least one sub channel.

I may give cable a second look then. Thanks for the info.

-gb-

p.s. I think Ana has great natural beauty. Not an ounce of make up on her face.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network