Pre-Order PMWEX3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Phil-
I must admit to a lack of knowledge on the undercrank/overcrank function, but doesn't the EX1/3 output a valid HD-SDI stream when operating in this mode? If so, we should be able to capture with XDR/nanoFlash.

Also, every camera I have tested will output an invalid (all 1's) time-code when operating in "live mode", but once you press the record button you get a valid incrementing time code. We are planning to use this "feature" as one of the record trigger options. Does the EX1/EX3 operate differently?

I'll have an EX1 this week and test these issues with Flash XDR. But, any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi Mike

I really hope it does as I will most likely be buying one as just the 420 puts some people off so having another option would be great. If your box will start recording from the TC trigger I will get one then, for me that was the biggest problem. i will tell clients who want overcrank and timelapse that is will be on SxS. I have been hired by CVP Mitcorp to make overview videos of new products so I will really like to get my hand on one of these in tandem with the EX3/ EX1 to show people how it works and workflow.

One of the other main applications that attracts me to this product is it will work with other cameras with HD SDI out.

When shooting with other tape based cameras if will let me record some or all rushes for me to look back on at the end of the day on my macbook pro. Something I am not able to do currently. For example am DP in Germany tomorrow for a few days tomorrow shooting on an HDX900 DVC PRO HD, I would love to be able to look at what we have done but I won't. Am so used to it from shooting on my F350 or with P2/ EX1.

Phil
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Postel View Post
Touche Phil...so maybe there are well over a dozen significant advantages that make it worth it, but does it also shoot my movie for me? Toast bread? I didn't think so. ;-)

But seriously, I guess my point (although poorly worded) was that there are great advantages, but some I'll use and some I won't for my intended uses. I have to justify added costs. This is going to be through my personal funds rather than my company's (which makes the purchasing decision 1000 times more difficult).
The picture is identical Ryan and if you are always just going to stick an SGpro on it and never need the other features then save yourself some money and buy extra cards. I would always advise people to save up if they can for a bit longer and get the ex3 just for that viewfinder and ergonomics/ shoulder mount.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #33
Major Player

greg,

can you check the firmware version of the pmw-ex1 which worked with the new hard drive unit?

thanks

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Hi Scott,

I found that comment interesting because I worked the EX Workflow Pavilion for Sony at NAB. We were using the hard drive on the EX-1 throughout the show and it worked perfectly. I was not aware of any upgraded firmware in the EX-1 cameras we were using but perhaps it had been.

-gb-
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #34
Trustee

I doubt it Paul as that camera would have been a Sony camera.
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #35
Regular Crew

This may have been addressed elsewhere, but will the undercrank/overcrank knob automatically change the resolution your shooting in? If your shooting in 1080p and wish to go to slomo, will you still have to dig in the menu to go to 720?

- Ray
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Schlogel View Post
This may have been addressed elsewhere, but will the undercrank/overcrank knob automatically change the resolution your shooting in? If your shooting in 1080p and wish to go to slomo, will you still have to dig in the menu to go to 720? - Ray
You have to press the knob in for a couple of seconds for it activate, then a cool blue light around the knob indicates your set to go. Check it out by watching Phil's review which also provides the answer to your question:

http://web.mac.com/philip.bloom/Phil.../XDCAMEX3.html

Last edited by Barry J. Anwender; June 15th, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #37
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Hi Scott,

I found that comment interesting because I worked the EX Workflow Pavilion for Sony at NAB. We were using the hard drive on the EX-1 throughout the show and it worked perfectly. I was not aware of any upgraded firmware in the EX-1 cameras we were using but perhaps it had been.

-gb-
Greg,
My Sony tech-rep was just here at Tapeworks this past Thursday. According to him, all current PMWEX1's on the market will require a firmware update to work with the HDD. I believe they are still working out the details on how this upgrade will be performed. I am unsure if the one you used at NAB had this upgrade yet or not. But I do recall seeing it on an EX1 as well when I went through Sony booth.

BTW, call me tomorrow if you get an opportunity. I have a question for you concerning a product demo show we will be hosting on the EX1 and EX3 this upcoming August.

Concerning the Free 8GB SXS card that is currently shipping with the EX1 as a promotion, I am awaiting information from Sony for a definitive answer as to how long this will be provided. I will let everyone know as soon as I have an answer.

Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Scott, According to this rebate coupon the card will be available unitl September 30/08

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/files/527...#37;20Card.pdf

Do you know if Sony will supply the EX3 with a card and also have the rebate for the extra
card like they do for the EX1 ???
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #39
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Ray,
Sony is planning on shipping 1 8GB SXS card with the kit as a promotion.
They have not released any information concerning a rebateable card. I am sure more information will be provided as we get closer to the release, which Sony is now saying mid to late July.

-Scott Cantrell
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #40
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Schlogel View Post
This may have been addressed elsewhere, but will the undercrank/overcrank knob automatically change the resolution your shooting in? If your shooting in 1080p and wish to go to slomo, will you still have to dig in the menu to go to 720?

- Ray
Yes, it will only overcrank/ undercrank to the max it can it the resolution you are set to unfortunately.
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #41
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Hi Mike

I really hope it does as I will most likely be buying one as just the 420 puts some people off so having another option would be great. If your box will start recording from the TC trigger I will get one then, for me that was the biggest problem. i will tell clients who want overcrank and timelapse that is will be on SxS. I have been hired by CVP Mitcorp to make overview videos of new products so I will really like to get my hand on one of these in tandem with the EX3/ EX1 to show people how it works and workflow.

One of the other main applications that attracts me to this product is it will work with other cameras with HD SDI out.

When shooting with other tape based cameras if will let me record some or all rushes for me to look back on at the end of the day on my macbook pro. Something I am not able to do currently. For example am DP in Germany tomorrow for a few days tomorrow shooting on an HDX900 DVC PRO HD, I would love to be able to look at what we have done but I won't. Am so used to it from shooting on my F350 or with P2/ EX1.

Phil
Hi Phil-
I'll keep you abreast of our progress. We will be testing the incrementing time-code question later this week.

I now have a better understanding of the overcrank/undercrank and yes this is a feature that will require SxS cards for capture. We may be able to implement this function in our box, but that will require more study.

BTW, our 100 Mbps 4:2:2 Long-GOP is above HDCAM quality (according to the Sony white paper on XDCAM CODEC technology), and to my eye, visually identical to uncompressed.

Yes, the universality of HD-SDI makes nano/XDR a tool useful with a wide range of cameras. Besides playback on your Mac Pro, you can stream out HD-SDI and if you add an HD-SDI to HDMI converter, view on virtually any flat screen.
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Phil - Thanks for the advice. After all, it was your great video review of the camera a couple months back that got me into the camera in the first place. Saving the cash for cards will be important especially if some of these dealers may not be throwing in a small one to start off with.

Does anyone have experience in how many SxS cards they go through in a full day of shooting?
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #43
Major Player

Depends on what you mean by a full day of shooting...and what you are shooting. I have two 16GB and two 8GB and have shot a lot of action sports for 8-10 hr days...and have not even used the two 8GB cards yet. One thing I noticed is I am a lot more selective with my shots now that I have the ability to record as soon as I hit the button instead of having a delay and I can also review my last shot very easy. This all saves a ton of wasted record time compared to just letting a tape roll. Two to three hrs of footage for me with out having to offload is fine for most of the stuff I shoot. If needed I can just use the two 8GB cards while offloading the two 16GB cards and continue to shoot if need be. This new tapeless workflow has completely changed my shooting style and I get all the shots I want without as much wasted tape so to speak. One thing to be aware of is shooting 720 60 slow mo will eat up more card than 1080p 30...Again it all depends on what you are shooting... and your shooting style... but I really could not see needing more than two 8GB and two 16GB cards...That gives you plenty of time to record and offload.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #44
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Phil-
I'll keep you abreast of our progress. We will be testing the incrementing time-code question later this week.
Just wanted to confirm that the incrementing time-code approach will definitely work as a record trigger on Flash XDR / nanoFlash. A live shot out of the EX1 will produce a constant time-code value in the HD-SDI stream. As soon as you press the record button, the timecode will start to increment, which is our trigger to start recording.

When you power down the EX1, the nanoFlash will detect the loss of incoming HD-SDI signal and automatically go to low power mode to conserve battery power (we are targeting less than 1W power). As soon as the camera is powered-up, nanoFlash will wake up (about 3 seconds) and be ready to record.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:06 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Cranky

I am disappointed the Nano/XDR will not support under/overcranking, however does it support 720/60p? and if so does it work with all codec rates currently offered or are we limited to 1080 24/30 frame rates.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds