Sony PMW-EX1 with Schoeps CMIT5U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 17th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #16
Trustee

Might I say that perhaps this whole question might be a bit exaggerated?

A mic supply is generally planned to provide at least 10mA @ 48v +/- 2v (usually) and mics are designed to work with such supplies. There are also mics, usually electret based, that may work from 12v to 48v, which is not the Schoeps case or Sennheiser's MKH or Neumann's. They do need more than 45v to work.

This is something I researched thoroughly, voltage and current you need to provide, when I designed and built my portable mic preamp.

It would be unlikely that Sony might provide mic phantom power that wouldn't allow you to use most pro mikes, Schoeps included.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #17
Major Player

That was one of the factors that made me hesitant to reply as the Schoeps mic body (CMC6u) can use anything from 12v to 48v for phantom. I'd love to have the CMIT mic for my kit but it WILL be nice to see somebody test it here first. Otherwise, I'll have to run it through my Sound Devices mic pre first and feed line level audio into the EX1.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez View Post

It would be unlikely that Sony might provide mic phantom power that wouldn't allow you to use most pro mikes, Schoeps included.
Totally agree.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #19
Major Player

thanks folks!

what the heck

i am ordering one today.

will let you guys know shortly if the sony pmw-ex1 powers it.

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
That was one of the factors that made me hesitant to reply as the Schoeps mic body (CMC6u) can use anything from 12v to 48v for phantom. I'd love to have the CMIT mic for my kit but it WILL be nice to see somebody test it here first. Otherwise, I'll have to run it through my Sound Devices mic pre first and feed line level audio into the EX1.
Don't have any doubt that you will have a much better sound going into the Mixpre and then feeding line level! Even a Shure FP33 would be superior.

The higher voltages would provide better dynamics, but that would be if you are using it on very specific situations. It's unlikely that you would have any problems if recording dialogue. The Schoeps internal preamp is very good, so I doubt you will ever face a problematic situation with it going into the EX1.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #21
Major Player

I have a SD MP2 as well as a SD722 but have yet to feed Line Level audio into the EX1 with either of them. Guess that should be my next audio test, huh?
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #22
Major Player

gear load is adding up.

any mixers really lite and pocketable?
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #23
Major Player

Paul,

The Sound Devices 302 is very good - a bit more control than the Mix-Pre. I don't have the mix pre, but it is so small often I wish that I did. THe 302 is just a bit bigger, but has better limiters and 3 channels - works very well.
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #24
Major Player

If you come across a Sound Devices MP2, grab it. They discontinued this model a few years back and it has held its' value well. I bought it for field use to record M/S stereo and it's great. Also, you'll find the SD folks unbelievably good with tech support. I had purchased this MP2 used wanted to have them add a mod for NiMh batteries. It had also developed a slight wobble in one of the gain pots. They not only did the mod but fixed the pot at no charge! It's a pleasure to deal with an American company that offers such great support.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM   #25
Major Player

Just got my Schoeps CMIT5U thursday and my dealer forgot to put back in the windscreen and instructions. well, that's another story.

anyway, took it to a job today and did about an hour of pre-lim home setup.

(i'll be posting footage on vimeo shortly, probably tomorrow, but here goes.)

1. set PMW-EX1 to TRIM from -26db to -8db and Schoeps at manual pegged at "10"
2. set headphone volume 3 to 4 bars from highest and used a pair of sony earbugs.
3. at TRIM of -23db and manual input level of 10, the peak reached -10db on audio meter.

4. at TRIM of -26db and 10, headphone starts to experience some noise at 4 bars from headphone maximum.

5. the level of the recording was pretty natural and noise free, but very very low.
cranking amplifier on computer introduce noise and same when passed to external amp.

i am wondering if the SONY PMW-EX1 is not powering the Schoeps CMIT5U enough, as we discussed last week.

maybe i need that portable mixer or is this really a low amperage issue?

paul

TEST RESULTS!!!!

and here are the voltage measurements with Schoeps and a Sony mike

no load off PMW-EX1 is 47.3v

1. with Sony ECM680s 39.9v
2. with Schoeps CMIT5U 33.1v

is this too much? what you guys think? time for portable mixer?
reason for the low volume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
If you come across a Sound Devices MP2, grab it. They discontinued this model a few years back and it has held its' value well. I bought it for field use to record M/S stereo and it's great. Also, you'll find the SD folks unbelievably good with tech support. I had purchased this MP2 used wanted to have them add a mod for NiMh batteries. It had also developed a slight wobble in one of the gain pots. They not only did the mod but fixed the pot at no charge! It's a pleasure to deal with an American company that offers such great support.

Last edited by Paul Chiu; June 23rd, 2008 at 12:02 AM.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds