any dsr300 users gone ex1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 18th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #16
Major Player

Khoi & Paul,

Could you kindly tell me what workflow are you using to get superb HD to Sd conversion resulting in a better output than the DSR300 SD footage please? This problem is sending me nuts. Even my local Sony /Matrox agent did not believe me at first but then he did some tests himself and confirmed that yes I'm not going mad. The loss in conversion is acute and cannot be dismissed. The NLE used was Premiere CS3 + Axio LE. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I even tested out FCP with the worflow mentioned here but still it wasn't any better.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
am using a 300 for some time now, very crisp picture.does the ex1 match this?if youve shot with a dsr300 /370 youll know right off the bat
thanks
Still have a 390, to my eye EX1 is sharper;
tonight will post the same indoor shot from both cameras , so you'll see the difference,

:)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Khoi,

Glad to hear it was you.

Speaking with you introduced me to the Storm2 card which I have had since then. - Thanks!

I am looking forward to shooting in HD, it just seems there are some compromises in cameras right now. And waiting seems to be the best option for me right now.

See you around the boards!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #19
Major Player

EX1 sharper , but the downside is the shoulder mount feeling. and when you are shooting a longer live event you just need more cards compare to just just 2 of the DVcam tapes that last a few hours each
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Khoi & Paul,

Could you kindly tell me what workflow are you using to get superb HD to Sd conversion resulting in a better output than the DSR300 SD footage please? This problem is sending me nuts. Even my local Sony /Matrox agent did not believe me at first but then he did some tests himself and confirmed that yes I'm not going mad. The loss in conversion is acute and cannot be dismissed. The NLE used was Premiere CS3 + Axio LE. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I even tested out FCP with the worflow mentioned here but still it wasn't any better.
Brian, follow this link and do exactly as the instructions

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ht=virtual+dub

it seems complicated at first but once you have everything installed, it is only a few mouse click, the only thing I would do different is I use precice bicubic (A=0.60) instead of Lanczos 3, Lanczos 3 add too much edge enhancement and is good for upscale not downscale.
BTW I use ProCoder, don't know what you are using for encoding but that also is where quality could be loss, the encoder I like are ProCoder, Cinema craft SP and Tsunami

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds